Filling in an old sump pit?

Prior to my owning it, my home originally had a septic system with sump pit, and now has a city sewer system, is it a good idea to fill in the old pit, rather than have an eyesore in the basement with potential for mold, etc?
I have wet-vac'd it out in the past but not surprisingly the water eventually seeps back in. I was thinking of filling most of it with stone, and then pouring concrete over the top. I'm concerned that some moisture could wick up.
Any thoughts or advice?
Thanks,
Andrew
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
agreed, install a sump pump.
Mark
Good point Colby.
I was wondering similar..... as, in my mind - if you need a sump pit to handle the output from a septic tank.... well, that seems to be a bad thing, to me, anyway.
OTOH, I've never seen a grease trap in a house (I'm not saying there aren't though)

Agree sounds like an excellent opportunity to install a ground water sump and a sump pump. Hopefully you will rarely need it but you will bless your forethought the one or two times that you do. Even if basement is mainly used for storage it will be much dryer and usable if potential water is kept below the floor.
Andrew -
I'd reccomend you convert it back to a sump pit. The drain piping and electrical should still be in place; so it would be easy to do.
Having a sump pit dug, and pump installed, is expensive.
You have all the bits needed to have something thats really necessary for your home - as you have mentioned water does gather there.
Best of luck mate - Matt

I have never seen one in a basement but do you mean grease trap? Did the kitchen sink drain to this before it went to the septic field?
If it is a true sump pit, I agree with the others that I would keep it and put a pump in it for a rainy day. Pun intended, please pardon
Colbyt