Filling hole in wall

I need to fill a 3/8 " hole I put in the wall.

I'm pretty new at these things...I had thought the walls were plaster (house is a brick colonial built in 1948), but there are no laths, and looking closely at a couple places in the house where there are larger openings in the wall, it looks something like 2 layers of drywall, totaling about an inch thick.

Looking online and in a DIY drywall book, seems like the hole is small enough that I could try filling it with joint compound and then (I guess...really new at this stuff) putting drywall tape/mesh on top of that.

Does that sound reasonable?

I want the patch to be reasonably strong, because SWMBO is insisting that we hang a picture there. (That's where the 3/8" hole came from...don't ask.)

Reply to
woger151

No. If it's only 3/8" diameter, just fill it with joint compound. There's no point in using tape on something so small. Use sandable setting-type joint compound that you mix with water -- one brand name to look for is EasySand.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Either the picture will cover the hole, or, with a long enough nail (or 3/8" dowell) you can hang the picture using the hole.

One light-in-the-leathers TV redecorating host recommends toothpaste for hole-filling. 'Course he probably uses toothpaste for any number of unspeakable things...

Reply to
HeyBub

The patch won't be strong enough to hold anything much bigger than a postcard. Use two hangers, one on each side of the mistaken hole or you will be picking up the picture from the floor.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Use the hole you already have, a toggle bolt and a molly hook. Adjust the wire slightly if needed to achieve the right height. Hang anything you like up to about 65 pounds and forget the patch.

A picture from a random site:

Molly hooks are sold at all real hardware stores. You might find them at the BORG.

Reply to
Colbyt

Install an expanding plastic plug that uses a screw to expand it. Leave a bit of the screw head exposed to hook the picture frame wire on. WW

Reply to
WW

That is the "correct" way to do it but you end up with a bag of Easysand with a spoonfull removed and it doesn't store well...Just get a small tub of Red Devil One Time Lightweight Spackle and fill it a couple of times , sand and touch up paint...Good Luck....

benick

On 4/27/2009 7:55 AM HeyBub spake thus:

Toothpaste to patch holes in wall? The first (and only) time I ever heard that was from the lips of my erstwhile white-trash redneck girlfriend, many years ago. It still has bad associations to this day.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I swear I heard it. He even mentioned it might be possible to match the colors!

Reply to
HeyBub