Filling Cracks In Old Railroad Ties ?

Hi,
Have purchased a few old railroad ties that I plan on using to define some garden area borders.
Being quite old, and previously used, they have several substantial cracks (checking the right term ?) in them.
Thought it would be a good idea to pour "something" in the cracks to help hold them together, and as a secondary consideration to keep moisture from getting inside them and causing more cracks or enlarging those already there.
So, what should I use to hopefully help hold them together ?
My first thought was epoxy, but I doubt that it is fluid enough to really get inside deeply.
Would Gorilla Glue bond surfaces with perhaps 1/16 - 1/8 inch gaps ?
Or,... ?
Thanks, Bob
Robert11 wrote:

Not a good idea...filling the cracks/checks won't stop moisture but it *will* trap it.
--
dadiOH
dadiOH wrote:

Not to mention that railroad ties are not the best thing for garden borders. Particularly not for vegetable gardens. Take your idea into the rec.garden group and see what their advice is.
--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?

You are probably out of luck - I know of nothing that will do what you want and last for a long time. Epoxy would do it but also trap moisture and eventually fail. Plus - It will cost more than just getting new landscape timbers or some other type of edging.
[snip]
. Plus - It will cost more than just getting new landscape

Not the 3 x 5 landscape timbers from the typical big box stores, please. They're termite magnets and not up to long term use. -- Regards --