Filling Cracks In Old Railroad Ties ? (2023 Update)

Hi,

Have purchased a few old railroad ties that I plan on using to define some garden area borders.

Being quite old, and previously used, they have several substantial cracks (checking the right term ?) in them.

Thought it would be a good idea to pour "something" in the cracks to help hold them together, and as a secondary consideration to keep moisture from getting inside them and causing more cracks or enlarging those already there.

So, what should I use to hopefully help hold them together ?

My first thought was epoxy, but I doubt that it is fluid enough to really get inside deeply.

Would Gorilla Glue bond surfaces with perhaps 1/16 - 1/8 inch gaps ?

Or,... ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Not a good idea...filling the cracks/checks won't stop moisture but it

*will* trap it.
Reply to
dadiOH

Not to mention that railroad ties are not the best thing for garden borders. Particularly not for vegetable gardens. Take your idea into the rec.garden group and see what their advice is.

Reply to
Grandpa

You are probably out of luck - I know of nothing that will do what you want and last for a long time. Epoxy would do it but also trap moisture and eventually fail. Plus - It will cost more than just getting new landscape timbers or some other type of edging.

Reply to
No
[snip]

. Plus - It will cost more than just getting new landscape

Not the 3 x 5 landscape timbers from the typical big box stores, please. They're termite magnets and not up to long term use. -- Regards --

Reply to
JimR

I'm going to experiment with concrete to fill the cracks of some of the ties I'm building a wall with. The concrete will be porous and allow small amounts of moisture out and possibly look pretty cool with Grey veins in the wood.

One challenge is that it might crumble but the wall I'm building will be stationary. I'm not suggesting this as advice because I still haven't put it to practice just something to consider.

Just have to find something that will fill a crack and dry with some pores.

Reply to
Ben Landscaper

I would look for a construction adhesive or mortar repair type product in a tube. It will be flexible, stick very well to the wood and be easy to apply.

Reply to
trader_4

Is there a modern day version of creosote?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

IDK, he seemed to like the idea of a concrete like color. If he wants something creosote like and that color, then a caulking gun tube of one of the roofing tar like products sounds good.

Reply to
trader_4

Bondo All-Purpose Putty, Designed for Interior and Exterior Home Use, Paintable, Permanent, Non-Shrinking, 1.9 lb., 1-Quart

I used this on an old cracking threshold. Worked good.

Reply to
Thomas