Filling a tire with "Great Stuff" expandable foam

Can lead to interesting discussions. I don't mind. I'm an old retired fibers and plastics R&D guy and know most of what is being talked about here was stuff worked on a long time ago. Also as a home owner know that I would not buy something at twice the cost even if trouble free.

Reply to
Frank

It never occurred to me. Forklifts and such use products like this:

Dean Hoffman

That looks like an answer but it is "a urethane rubber product" not styrene foam

Reply to
gfretwell

Ever try Slime? I've used it in bicycle tires in areas where goathead thorns are prevalent and it worked well.

Mr. Tuffy lines also help a lot:

They don't have anything specifically for garden tires but I'd think the fat tire version could be adapted.

Reply to
rbowman

Why is this still on topic? I thought that was prohibited on this list.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I bought some time with slime in a lawn tractor tire but normal running will not spread it around enough. The second time, I manually rotated the wheel (dismounted) in all axis, trying to get an even coat all over. That held for a year or two.

Reply to
gfretwell

rom thorns on the trailer for my garden tractor. Tire shop suggested repla cing them with solid tires. Yep, they ahd them, I got them, they are great . For wheelbarrows, carts, and such use there is no need for "flex".

Yes I have used it. In fact the tire I took in last time had it. That's w hen the tech suggested the solid tire.

Reply to
Harry K

replying to Paintedcow, GTWarner wrote: I think even dispersion and an even way for air to escape during fill would be first priorty. Then weight carrying and resillance. That stuff seems to last a long time. I'm sure the formula could be modified for optimum results. Experiments shall begin!

Reply to
GTWarner

Solid tires have been around for decades and there are reasons they are not often used. Great Stuff may work for a few miles, but won't work well after it gets compacted.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski