Filling a tire with "Great Stuff" expandable foam

Page 1 of 2
I wonder what would happen if someone took a small tire, such as the ones on wheelbarrows or push carts (dollys) and just filled them with Spray Foam (such as "Great Stuff" brand).
It would seem to me, that you could just remove the valve stem core, insert the nozzle from the spray can into the valve stem, and fill the tire. I guess the only concern would be to make sure the whole tire was filled, and not leaving parts of it empty. The foam would expand and make a solid tire.
Has anyone ever tried this?
On 4/28/2016 6:38 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

I know it is an old concept. Air would still leak out as tire is under pressure and air would still permeate rubber needing occasional replenishment.
On 4/28/2016 8:11 AM, Frank wrote:

The foam hardens when dry. As such, it seems like it would fill the tire and be rigid. No inflating needed, due to the rigid, hard foam.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 4/28/2016 8:22 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Tires need to flex. Foams are not that ridged but would need to recover from flexing. Stiffer foams would not recover as well.
On 4/28/2016 8:25 AM, Frank wrote:

For a slow tire such as wheel barrow, might not be an issue. Vehicle tires? I'm not sure.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Why does a tire need to flex? On a car, the flexing is desirable to cushion the ride, which makes the ride more comfortable. But on a wheelbarrow or push cart it does not matter. I have both a hand cart and a wheelbarrow which have solid tires, and they work fine. I also have both of these which have aired tires. All they do is waste space in my garage or barn, because everytime I want to use them, the damn tires are flat. There is no excuse for having to screw around with tires everytime I want to move a load of dirt or move an appliance. I have never noticed much difference in handling the ones with solid tires or aired tires.
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:17:28 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Try it on soft ground. ... and the foam will crush giving you a "low" tire pretty quickly.
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 5:25:26 AM UTC-7, Frank wrote:

Not all tires need to flex. I was having trouble with constant flats from thorns on the trailer for my garden tractor. Tire shop suggested replacing them with solid tires. Yep, they ahd them, I got them, they are great. F or wheelbarrows, carts, and such use there is no need for "flex".

That is true if you are not running your wheelbarrow over uneven or soft surfaces. I have one each (solid tire and pneumatic tire). If you load them up and try to go out across the yard, the difference is immediately apparent.
On 04/30/2016 09:48 AM, Harry K wrote:

Ever try Slime? I've used it in bicycle tires in areas where goathead thorns are prevalent and it worked well.
Mr. Tuffy lines also help a lot:
http://www.mrtuffy.com/
They don't have anything specifically for garden tires but I'd think the fat tire version could be adapted.
On 4/30/2016 3:20 PM, rbowman wrote:

Why is this still on topic? I thought that was prohibited on this list.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I bought some time with slime in a lawn tractor tire but normal running will not spread it around enough. The second time, I manually rotated the wheel (dismounted) in all axis, trying to get an even coat all over. That held for a year or two.
On Saturday, April 30, 2016 at 12:19:46 PM UTC-7, rbowman wrote:

rom thorns on the trailer for my garden tractor. Tire shop suggested repla cing them with solid tires. Yep, they ahd them, I got them, they are great . For wheelbarrows, carts, and such use there is no need for "flex".

Yes I have used it. In fact the tire I took in last time had it. That's w hen the tech suggested the solid tire.
Frank posted for all of us...

Frank, I know you are trying to be nice but take a look at some of the pigmented bovines past postings.
--
Tekkie

On 4/28/2016 2:57 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Can lead to interesting discussions. I don't mind. I'm an old retired fibers and plastics R&D guy and know most of what is being talked about here was stuff worked on a long time ago. Also as a home owner know that I would not buy something at twice the cost even if trouble free.
On 4/28/2016 6:38 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

I've thought about it, but never tried it. I'd be tempted to pull the valve core, and then collapse the tire off the rim. Squirt the expanding foam in under the edge of the tire. Put the tire on a horizontal axle. Turn the tire (by hand?) as the foam cures. Wear gloves, and treat the wet foam like toxic waste. Takes a long time to wear off hands, and never really comes out of clothes.
The foam continues to expand about double size, after it's dispensed.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

The trick would be to get enough in the tire to fill it, but not too much. If too much is put in, it would probably push the tire off the rim or bust it.
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 09:50:12 -0400, Ralph Mowery

I don't think it is physically possible for the foam to exert enough force to demount the tire.
It'll work for a while. Eventually the foam may break down and turn into powder, but it will take some time and some load.. It will ooze out the valve stem long before the tire comes off!!!!
On 04/28/2016 04:38 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Yeah. Is your google broken?
rbowman posted for all of us...

The pigmented bovine is not familiar with what you speak and lacks the critical function of a brain.
--
Tekkie