filling a gap

i need to fill a gap(vertical) that is about an inch wide in a brick retaining wall. is there a caulk type product that would work for such a large gap? thanks, cj

Reply to
cj

I guess I'd ask first where the gap came from -- is it a development or an expansion joint that lost it's filler or just a space between two separate walls...???

If it's a crack that grew w/ time, likely there's not much point in anything unless stabilize the wall first as it won't stay put long anyway.

Assuming it's stable, it'll need some backer filler material and then there are several choices for a caulk or filler, depending on the situation, including mostly pointing (or repointing) instead.

--

Reply to
dpb

Questions include:

  1. Is this repair cosmetic (only for appearance) or must the filling carry more than its own weight?
  2. Indoors or outdoors?
  3. Expected range of temperatures (winter and summer.)
  4. Depth (e.g. one inch or six?)

We can imagine successfully stuffing the gap with cement, invisibly held in place by some non-rusting material if necessary: but an outdoor repair exposed to rain and extreme temperatures might need the attention of an experienced stonemason.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

it is an outdoor brick wall in s.e. michigan so the temp range varies alot. i know the best way would be to replace the section that is pulling away. the part that is pulling away is part of a 90 degree (forms a corner)wall...if the homeowner does not want to replace the section in question i am now thinking of securing the corner with threaded rod and sika anchor fix so that would at least (hopefully) prevent the wall from pulling away more. the wall is about 3 and a half to four foot tall with the crack(gap)extending all the way top to bottom. after securing the wall i will fill the gap with an appropriate mason chaulk...should work thanks cj

Reply to
cj

cj wrote: ...

I seriously doubt it will (work, that is) for any extended time, anyways unless do something about either the foundation or add lateral support along the length of the failing section besides at the corner.

All that will do is constrain the corner and the rest will continue to fail and cause another break a short distance away from the existing failing corner.

I know that's not what you or the homeowner want to hear, but I'd be pretty confident it's what a mason or structural guy would tell you if asked to evaluate...

--

Reply to
dpb