Filler For Cracked/Rotted Wood - Mr Mack's Wood Fix Equivalent

Hi,
We have some rotted and cracked exterior wood that needs filling before re-staining the house. I had been using Mr. Mack's Wood Fix for this but it is no longer made. Minwax wood filler is OK for some filling but not all. Mr. Mack's could be thinned to a near paint-like fluidity that would easily go into small cracks and leave a protective coating on the wood. Can you recommend another filler for that also does this?
Thanks, Gary
On 7/25/2008 12:32 PM abby spake thus:

Dunno about that stuff, but what I'd recommend (and what has been recommended by others with a lot more experience in this field than me) are any of the epoxy-based wood fillers. They're all similar, 2-part pastes that you mix before filling. Mix up to about the consistency of peanut butter. They stick much better than anything else, are sandable and paintable, and hold up to weather. (They might be a little harder than the fillers you've been used to using, so you need to be a little more careful finishing them off neatly before setting.)
abby wrote: ...

Don't know that one by name but you could look at the "PC Woody" line from PC Epoxy -- I've used the hardener that is a thin material as it comes as well as their fillers. There are several others w/ similar products.
http://www.pcepoxy.com/woodepoxy.asp

I use a product called Git Rot. I buy it at a marine supply store. It is very thin and penetrates the rotted wood and turns it into a stone like substance. It takes a day to cure.
Mike
Note: my return address contains no numeric characters

Minwax also has a wood hardener which is very thin and easily absorbs into the wood. Use this before you use the filler.

I use a product called wood to repair rotted wood. It always works and comes out looking like new. OK, it doesn;t really repair it since the rotted wood goes in the trash.