Fill a small pool with water from well?

I have a well. I would like to get a small 10' by 30" pool, and fill it with water from my well. Having a water truck come in is not an option, but I probably would not even need that method with such a small pool.
How do I go about filling this pool without draining my well? Do I fill it with a small amount of water each day, until I reach the top? I do NOT want to compromise my well in any way.
Thanks for answering. -- pj
On Tue, 22 May 2007 07:55:09 -0400, pj wrote:

Fill it slowly if you want but I doubt that you're risking draining your well.
--
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
I probably use that much water filling the tanks for my livestock. On a hot summer day, I have had to fill six or more 100gallon tanks daily. A few times even filled them in the morning and again in the evening. I have a well. Of course you could have a shallow well or be in an area with poor refill rate. I cant tell you that....
You could always run the house rain gutters into the pool too. Rain water should be good, except I'd want a filter on the end of the downspouts if you have shingles or all the loose shingle grit will get in the pool.

That sure says "water truck" to me.
Filling that sized pool entails some risk.
says...

That's about 1500 gallons. A water truck is something like 6000gallons.

If you well is that close to going dry, you're going to have real problems sooner or later anyway.
What are you going to do to keep the water clean?
--
Keith

Slowly.
Once the pool is filled have the water fully tested, including iron, before you dump chlorine in it. Well water is usually high in pH, alkalinity, hardness and iron. Adding chlorine to iron-rich pool water makes for an unhappy pool owner.

If you don't know the capacity of your well and its refresh rate, I'd consider getting it tested, as that can be good to know in general. What will basically happen is that the well guy will come out, measure the distance to the top of the water, and then start running the water, measuring the flow rate. He'll do this for a couple hours, and tell you how far down the well was been drawn, and then as it recovers, he'll measure at various times, to find out how quickly it recovers.
At the very least, you'll know that it is safe to continuously run the water for however long the well guy ran his flow test, and you'll know how long to wait between iterations of that.
For example, my well's flow rate is limited by my somewhat wimpy pump to about 4 gallons per minute, and the well guy drained it for two hours. So, I know that I can draw 480 gallons at a time with no problem. I'd have to look at the well report to see how fast that recovers, but my recollection was that it was fairly quick, maybe an hour. So, to fill a 10' diameter by 30" deep pool, which is about 1500 gallons, I'd know I could safely do it by doing 1/3 in the morning, 1/3 in the evening, and 1/3 the next morning.
--
--Tim Smith