Fifteen years, and two hours

that has no resistor in the circuit. It uses a "logic" anticipator.

Some thermostats suck couple volts for circuit operation. Depends on thermostat.
Greg
On 11/3/2015 8:37 PM, Micky wrote:

I do some heating. Maybe I can help? Please provide some more detail, and I'll get back to you in fifteen years (grin here).
Did you mention in another post, about how there is only a couple volts across R and W, while the furnace is running?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Whenever a heat related appliance breaks, I save the thermostat, but I've lost track of which are for heating and which are for fans.
Instead I dug out the original round Honeywell thermostat, model CT87B***, and it doesn't seem to be working -- judging by the ohmmeter I connected to it -- even though it was when I took it off the wall. I had put a 2-conductor wire to the Red and White screws and when I set the thermostat to heat, and hold it vertically, and set it to 80^, when the house is 70, and I put an ohmmeter on the two wires, nothing happens. It's still infinite.
***I think. No model number on the stat. But I doubt they spent more for the stat than they had to when they built the house. 109 houses all with the same heating and cooling. Mine was in neither the first batch nor the last. The screws are outlined by colored lines. Two of them appear to be outlined in Red, but there seems to be an R next to one and an O next to the other.
It's easy to find instructions, but hard to find a detailed schematic that goes beyond the baseplate. Tomorrow I will attempt to draw my own, but there are a lot of metal traces on the base plate

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 21:23:11 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster

And I tried setting to cool, and turning the stat the other direction in each case, but always infinite.

Thanks. Because of the 'until' clause, that makes more sense. It still implies the thermostat is broken, even though it worked fine when I took it off, 32 years ago.
Now that a day has gone by, I've forgotten what all my measurements were. I should have written them down. I will next time, if replacing the thermostat doesn't fix everything. And I'm so sleepy all the time even after a good night's sleep.

On 11/5/2015 1:28 PM, Micky wrote:

Sleepy all the time? Carbon monoxide, maybe?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

No, it was the summer too, and even now the furnace hasn't been on for a week. 79 degrees yesterday, 65 today. Baltimore
On 11/7/2015 12:15 PM, Micky wrote:

Thanks for lowering my concern. You're too valuable to lose.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Wow, that's very nice.
On 11/7/2015 8:25 PM, Micky wrote:

You are one of the few polite people on this list, you big stinky poop head idiot. I enjoy your common sense answers, you total moron.
Of course, I'm less polite than you, some days. Hope you understnd, pea brain. ;)
The lower hinge patch failed, for my storm door. Cut a chunk of wood, some spray paint, longer screws. Sigh. More patching things up.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/03/2015 11:02 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

There's no sense in rushing into things. I bought my present cave when it got too cold to live comfortably in the back of my pickup. I figured it was cheaper than paying rent all winter in a tight rental market and I'd move on in the spring. That was 26 years ago...
On 11/3/2015 10:01 PM, rbowman wrote:

Some things start as trial, but end up working. In the housing situation, I bought a mobile home, figured to get a real house some day. Twenty year later, the economy is tragic, and I'm in the same place.
Other factors like lack of money can have effect.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 19:20:05 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Good idea. The thermostat is in a location I've made inaccessible. I've hired Lewis and Clark, and Admiral Byrd, to make a path to it.
And as soon as I get there, 2 or 3 days**, I'll do just what you say.
**Admiral Byrd is still in the South Pole (or the North Pole, I can never remember) and he's trapped by a giant flock of penguins, and he says it will take him a couple days to get here. Lewis and Clark say that Sakajaweia (sp?) is pregnant again and they both refuse to leave her.
On 11/4/2015 10:41 PM, Micky wrote:

Neil Armstrong missed his flight, and now he's mooning us. (see who is old enough to get the humor, here.)
--
.
Christopher A. Young

This evening after 8 years, I finally moved the phone line from the window to a hole in the floor.
I had had intermittent problems with the interior wiring. The jacks nearest the indoor phone connection worked, but not some others.
Plus my computer was upstairs and it seemed a good idea to make the first stop from the NID the computer, so muliple connections wouldn't lower the speed. So I ran a wire from my office to the bedroom next to it, out the 2nd floor window, down to the NID. A year later I tried one more time to fix the interior connections and by golly, everything was fine. I used that for a couple more years until it failed again, and this time I switched to the window wire with no plans to go back.
I was planing to drill a hole through the window frame, but something must have held me back. A month ago it occurred to me I could drill through the bedroom floor** and come out in the overhang (the second floor overhangs the first by 23 inches in the front, by about 14 in the back.) and it would look better, stay drier, and not flop around in the wind like it's been doing for 6 years.
**But I actually drilled up from under the overhang. That way I knew where it would come out outside, but I didn't worry enough about where it woudl come out inside! I had forgotten about all the boxes on the far side of the bed, but luckily, I didn't drill into any of them. Instead the bit came out under the bed! So how was I going to run the wire down the hole? I thought about moving the bed but there was no room. Thought about lifting up the mattress and the box spring to lean against the wall, or against the wall with the window, or the opposite walls. All bad ideas.
How about crawling under the bed with a flashlight with the mattress and spring resting on my head? Another bad idea.
So went downstairs, took a 4-foot drill bit, threaded some button-hole thread through the hole in the stem, and pushed that up the hole. Had substantial trouble finding the upper hole but when I did, I rested the drill bit on some vines or the thermometer bracket.
Then went upstairs, lay face down on bed, pulled out a couple feet of the button-hole thread and tied it to something bigger than the 1/4" hole, and cut the thread from the bit.
Then downstairs to lower the bit and disconnect the phone wire.
Then upstairs to reel in the phone wire through the window, wrap the ends together and around the thread, put some tape on the end to make the thread come out at the point, and then try to push the thing in the hole in the floor. I couldn't find the hole, even though the thread led to it. (The thread kept getting twisted around the wire.)
Downstairs again, rolled the extra thread on the spool and left it dangling.
Upstairs, the weight of the spool was enough to pull in the spare thread, so I could find the hole in the floor. The 4-conductor wire is actually smaller than the hole, and without the white sheath, it's even smaller, and the four wires wrapped together came to a point, and the tape had barely any thickness, but I still had trouble pushing the wire through the hole. But i got it and I pushed an inch or two in.
Downstairs again and pulled on the thread to get the wire to come down. It was stuck at first, but tugging just a little broke it free and it found and came through the bottom hole easily. Pulled about 10 feet throug, enough to attach to the NID, but needed a foot or two more to do it right.
Upstairs, again I had to lie face-down on the bed and reach under it to work, and the wire turned out to be stuck under a box under the bed, and whenever I lay on the bed, it put much of my weight on the box so I coudlnt' pull the wire. But from the foot of the bed I was able to pull it out from the box (it was only under the box because I pulled from outside.)
So tomorrow I'll pull out another foot or two, close the door to the NID and caulk the hole in the overhang.
An 8-year project completed.