Field mouse in toilet

Page 2 of 3
He could have climbed up a wall or cabinet and fallen into the toilet.

Nice. A mouse in the toilet.
As to how - I have seen mice jump several feet in the air into a small crack in the wall. They can squeeze through holes much smaller than the diameter of their body. I would assume he go it the toilet from the bathroom by squeezing under the seat - now how he got in the bathroom, for a mouse there are probably a hundred ways.
I'll bet he was really surprised when he fell in the water and couldn't get out - poor thing.
I recommend catch and release for this one (if it's not too late!).
kpg

Yea thay certainly can jump!
Wonder if it was a hot day? Maybe just doing some dives off the tank for R&R, ya think?

Yea it's just an animal trying to instinctively survive. It doesn't give a rats-ass about any meaningless humans trying to survive any more than humans care about their meaningless asses.
I'd have cut him some slack. Not a radical though. I don't think head lice have rights :-)
216.196.97.136:

Yeah - it needs to warm and furry. :)

Head lice do have more rights then spammers though...
RickH wrote:

Two things to consider:
1. If a mouse can get in the toilet, other things can too. Rats. Snakes.
2. If you have a cat, perhaps the cat caught the mouse and put the mouse somewhere for you to find it. The cat can't sit around all night with a mouse in its beak waiting for two-leggers to get out of bed.
3. If you don't have a cat, get one.

No rats anywhere near here, only harmless garden snakes that cant climb the whole 2 story house to the roof stack.

No cat, just a dog who is afraid of its own shadow.

Allergies.
I cant understand this, its a newer subdivision against the woods built on old farmland. The critters mostly stay in the woods coyote, deer, red fox, coons, woodchucks, gophers, field mice, toads, etc. Never saw a "city rat" anywhere near here. The glue traps will tell me if this is an isolated incident or if I have to start looking for a hole somewhere.
RickH wrote:

Not a good excuse; you can get shots.
AMEN, that's the bogus excuse a lot of people use for not having them.
steve

on 8/14/2007 7:22 PM Steve Barker said the following:

Some people are definitely allergic to cats. I have a Maine Coon cat (long hair). When ever my neighbor comes to our house, she begins to sneeze and her eyes tear (teer). If she is staying for a while, she has to take a Benedryl. I was diagnosed as allergic to cats, among other things, years ago. I've either grown out of it, or I have developed an immunity to them.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Oh, I agree some people are allergic. But there is a high success rate, given enough injections, in overcoming this malady.

Not always. I get asthma from cats, and from nothing else. There are no shots that can help me. So I avoid cats completely.

That is like getting a dog in NYC to protect you from burglars- with the out-of-pocket costs, not to mention the time, in taking care of the damn thing, you are better off dealing with the problem you were trying to cure, on your own.
Don't get me wrong, I like cats, but I am also allergic. No way would I go to the expense and health risks and general misery of the side effects from the shots, just to have one. And it is nice not having cat hair all over the place, the feeding and vet routines, not to mention that damn stinky litter box to look after. (I am out of the house 10 hours a day, so no way around that one...)
aem sends....
aemeijers wrote:

Except only the politically well-connected can get a pistol permit in NYC, so the only way you can deal with burglars on your own is to move to, say, Texas.

I understand. And I'm glad you said that these reasons were your own personal inclinations. To many, a pet is a member of the family and is every bit as deserving of attention and welfare as any other. Further, pets often earn their keep - as you pointed out with dogs and burglars and I've opined about cats and mice.

Vermont is another. From the local paper - Couple of weeks ago a guy goes in a movie theater with a loaded pistol in a holster on his hip. Ticket person lets him in. Obvious he/she has been around for a while. The usher is not so informed. Goes out and calls the cops. They show up uneventfully and just ask the guy why he is armed. His reply was because it is his right. Cop tells usher yes it is his right and no laws are broken. Guy then tells cop if the usher had asked him to play down displaying it he would have gladly done so.
You go to a quick mart early in the morning during hunting season and everyone is packing.
People don't pull guns on other people much. Extreme possibility you too will be looking down the barrel of one.

Al Bundy wrote:

True. Vermont and Alaska are "unrestricted" states. There are thirty-nine states that have "shall issue" concealed handgun permits. "Shall issue" means that if you pass the statutory requirement (be able to stand up, see lightning, and hear thunder) the state MUST issue a permit. No discretion is allowed. Nine states have discretionary licensing (California and New York, to name two). Only three states prohibit concealed carry under all conditions: Wisconsin, Illinois, and D.C.
There are about 250 CHL holders in Sacramento, where the sheriff is being investigated by the FBI for "selling" permits. If Sacramento were in Texas, the city would have about 20,000 permit holders. That's one of the differences between "shall issue" and "discretionary issue" jurisdictions.

Or you can shoot the cat.

I just though of something...
Many of my downspouts feed directly into perforated corrugated plastic drain tile tubing that I assume just terminates under ground about 20 feet from the house. If some mice set up shop in that plastic drain tile, then that would explain how one might be on my roof having climbed through the downspout into the gutters. Last night we had a severe thunderstorm front come in dumping a lot of rain suddenly. Maybe this mouse got washed out of the gutter so he decided to look for high ground on the roof, then entered the vent stack? Just a theory but maybe plausible.
on 8/14/2007 3:32 PM RickH said the following:

Then that would have been some talented mouse, to be able to climb down to the toilet waste opening then swim through the water in the toilet trap to the bowl. You should have kept him. He probably would have made you a lot of money with those talents.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Hmmm...Something that could actually win ahe rat-race ;-)