Field mouse in toilet

Page 1 of 3
0600 hours this morning the wife gets out of bed to use the master bath (on second floor). She screams because there is a small gray mouse doing the breast stroke in the toilet, stuck unable to climb out. I figure since this is a second story bath that the only way that mouse got there was through the roof vent. We've never had a mouse in the house and it would be impossible for him to get into the toilet by climbing it or jumping from a counter because this toilet is separated from the sink in a corner with no adjacent fixtures. I also figue it could not have crawled up to the second story through vertical PVC from the basement had it gotten in through the street main.
So it must have fell in the roof vent then just too a turn at the T into the toilet and swam past the toilet P trap.
Is there any other way he could have gotten there? That I should be looking to plug up an entry hole? The house is only 8 years old, probably no screen on the roof vent.
RickH wrote:

I do hope you helped it out.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I've never understood why women will scream about a mouse, but they're happy to own a dog, an unpredictable animal that could kill them.
on 8/14/2007 11:05 AM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:

And mice clean themselves, like cats, both unlike dogs, who'll roll themselves in deer, and other shit..
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

....and then try and lick your face.
willshak wrote:

As opposed to humans (males) who spray themselves with deer urine...

Errrr....fraid not!
Al Bundy wrote:

'fraid so.
http://www.harmondeerscents.com/products.aspx

Well, not this "hunter" anyway. All my hunting happens at the meat counter.
I can't get close enough to them deer in the woods to hit them with a hammer. Know what I mean, Vern? :-)
Al Bundy wrote:

You can still spray yourself with deer urine, even if you get your meat at the Lucky Mart.

Hmmm, think that's a different kind of newsgroup...
But, suppose if I did that it would put an end to that person next to you grabbing the item you were just about to pick up.
Al Bundy wrote:

You might get your items free, too. There used to be a bill collection agency in the UK named "Telly's Smellies." They hired people with NO sense of smell, dressed them VERY nicely then doused them with pig vomit (or somesuch).
The bill collectors would sit patiently in the waiting rooms of deadbeats until a checkie-poo was forthcoming.
Rats can run thru plumbing holding the breath. Saw it on some show. I don't know about mice.

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 07:48:43 -0700, RickH

That's it.
Seems like a very brave and talented mouse. What did you do with it?
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

I picked it up by the tail and, uh, suffocated it in a zip lock bag tied in another plastic bag, today just happened to be garbage pickup day:)
I have never seen a mouse in the house previously, but I'll put out some glue traps anyway just to prove to myself it did not get in any way other than the roof vent. The second story of my house is sealed tight and the only way up here is the staircase if he got through a wall at ground level. And even if he got in at ground level hole then the mouse should wind up in the basement as the ground floor is about 18 inches above grade. No other explanation other than the roof vent makes any sense to me.
why didn't you just flush the toilet.??? JEEEEZZZZEEEEE....
steve
wrote Re Field mouse in toilet:

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:30:54 -0500, Vic Dura

I think it should be awarded the Legion d'Honeur d'Mouse.
<crossposted to alt.consumers.pest-control>

I don't know how it might have climbed the vent stack... and I would wonder if the toilet lid were up or down...
Chances are best that if you have seen one mouse, there are more. Generally, they're practically an infestation before the homeowner notices.
I'd advise getting a few packs of rat sized glue traps and baiting them with a couple cotton balls (and/or pistachios) about an inch from the edge and placing them in a corner or under the sinks on each floor. -----
- gpsman

I'll keep you posted if there are more. Seat was up but a small mouse could not possibly climb an inverted slope porcelain bowl, just like he could not climb out of same bowl. No other "climbing fixtures" are near this toilet for him to make a swan dive into the toilet either.

Actually only the closer seat was up the ring seat was down.