Field mouse in toilet

0600 hours this morning the wife gets out of bed to use the master bath (on second floor). She screams because there is a small gray mouse doing the breast stroke in the toilet, stuck unable to climb out. I figure since this is a second story bath that the only way that mouse got there was through the roof vent. We've never had a mouse in the house and it would be impossible for him to get into the toilet by climbing it or jumping from a counter because this toilet is separated from the sink in a corner with no adjacent fixtures. I also figue it could not have crawled up to the second story through vertical PVC from the basement had it gotten in through the street main.

So it must have fell in the roof vent then just too a turn at the T into the toilet and swam past the toilet P trap.

Is there any other way he could have gotten there? That I should be looking to plug up an entry hole? The house is only 8 years old, probably no screen on the roof vent.

Reply to
RickH

I do hope you helped it out.

Reply to
dadiOH

I've never understood why women will scream about a mouse, but they're happy to own a dog, an unpredictable animal that could kill them.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Rats can run thru plumbing holding the breath. Saw it on some show. I don't know about mice.

Reply to
Art

on 8/14/2007 11:05 AM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:

And mice clean themselves, like cats, both unlike dogs, who'll roll themselves in deer, and other shit..

Reply to
willshak

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 07:48:43 -0700, RickH wrote Re Field mouse in toilet:

That's it.

Seems like a very brave and talented mouse. What did you do with it?

Reply to
Vic Dura

....and then try and lick your face.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I don't know how it might have climbed the vent stack... and I would wonder if the toilet lid were up or down...

Chances are best that if you have seen one mouse, there are more. Generally, they're practically an infestation before the homeowner notices.

I'd advise getting a few packs of rat sized glue traps and baiting them with a couple cotton balls (and/or pistachios) about an inch from the edge and placing them in a corner or under the sinks on each floor. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

I picked it up by the tail and, uh, suffocated it in a zip lock bag tied in another plastic bag, today just happened to be garbage pickup day:)

I have never seen a mouse in the house previously, but I'll put out some glue traps anyway just to prove to myself it did not get in any way other than the roof vent. The second story of my house is sealed tight and the only way up here is the staircase if he got through a wall at ground level. And even if he got in at ground level hole then the mouse should wind up in the basement as the ground floor is about

18 inches above grade. No other explanation other than the roof vent makes any sense to me.
Reply to
RickH

RickH wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m37g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

Nice. A mouse in the toilet.

As to how - I have seen mice jump several feet in the air into a small crack in the wall. They can squeeze through holes much smaller than the diameter of their body. I would assume he go it the toilet from the bathroom by squeezing under the seat - now how he got in the bathroom, for a mouse there are probably a hundred ways.

I'll bet he was really surprised when he fell in the water and couldn't get out - poor thing.

I recommend catch and release for this one (if it's not too late!).

kpg

Reply to
kpg*

I'll keep you posted if there are more. Seat was up but a small mouse could not possibly climb an inverted slope porcelain bowl, just like he could not climb out of same bowl. No other "climbing fixtures" are near this toilet for him to make a swan dive into the toilet either.

Reply to
RickH

Actually only the closer seat was up the ring seat was down.

Reply to
RickH

As opposed to humans (males) who spray themselves with deer urine...

Reply to
HeyBub

Two things to consider:

  1. If a mouse can get in the toilet, other things can too. Rats. Snakes.

  1. If you have a cat, perhaps the cat caught the mouse and put the mouse somewhere for you to find it. The cat can't sit around all night with a mouse in its beak waiting for two-leggers to get out of bed.

  2. If you don't have a cat, get one.
Reply to
HeyBub

No rats anywhere near here, only harmless garden snakes that cant climb the whole 2 story house to the roof stack.

No cat, just a dog who is afraid of its own shadow.

Allergies.

I cant understand this, its a newer subdivision against the woods built on old farmland. The critters mostly stay in the woods coyote, deer, red fox, coons, woodchucks, gophers, field mice, toads, etc. Never saw a "city rat" anywhere near here. The glue traps will tell me if this is an isolated incident or if I have to start looking for a hole somewhere.

Reply to
RickH

I just though of something...

Many of my downspouts feed directly into perforated corrugated plastic drain tile tubing that I assume just terminates under ground about 20 feet from the house. If some mice set up shop in that plastic drain tile, then that would explain how one might be on my roof having climbed through the downspout into the gutters. Last night we had a severe thunderstorm front come in dumping a lot of rain suddenly. Maybe this mouse got washed out of the gutter so he decided to look for high ground on the roof, then entered the vent stack? Just a theory but maybe plausible.

Reply to
RickH

Then that would have been some talented mouse, to be able to climb down to the toilet waste opening then swim through the water in the toilet trap to the bowl. You should have kept him. He probably would have made you a lot of money with those talents.

Reply to
willshak

Consider yourself lucky. We were just starting to potty train one of our kids when, while I was at work, the lid was lifted to find a squirrel doing the breast stroke. By the time I hurried home the potty issue was taken care of in a different bathroom and the squirrel was in a clothes hamper with the top secured. After a trip to the vet our visitor was released and must have told the others about it because no other has ever tried it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You might take a quick look around in the upstairs rooms along the baseboards, in the corners and behind the furniture to see if there has been any on going activity. Rodents don't have control of their bowel movements so there will be pellets along where they have traveled. I don't think a mouse would have the vertical leap(they jump several feet horizontally though) to get on the toilet seat but a baby rat would and I do see people get the two mixed up all the time. The mouse's ears and feet will be in proportion to the rest of the body where as a baby rat will have over sized feet and ears. (I contend Mickey Mouse is actually a rat). Also look above the toilet to make sure there isn't a missed opening that they may of jumped from.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

Don't be so big headed as to think your house is mouse proof. It's not. He fell in there from inside. Mice can go anywhere.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker