Fiberglass mesh or paper tape for mud joints?

I've been using fiberglass mesh tape for most of my mud joints over the past hundred years or so (maybe a hundred or two sheets total - strictly DIY), and was wondering - lacking a banjo, bazooka, or whatever that thing is called, what kind of tape would a pro use? I understand that the mesh tape does not work in these machines, so that would be a no-brainer on the job. But when the situation calls for manual application, which is preferred? Is the preference based on ease of application? performance? both? I've never gotten the hang of paper (I *always* get bubbles) - that's why I use mesh. Should I try to perfect my paper technique, or is mesh ok? FWIW, I've had very few cracks over the years - would paper make that even less likely?

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

My method is mesh on fields and paper in corners. You get a much more defined corner with paper. I use a corner trowel to set the tape; mesh could never make as straight a line as paper, I think. And its easier to avoid bubbles in corners, since, with a corner trowel, all the air is being pushed out each side of the fold. Try it using about 5 feet at a time, no banjo, just a corner trowel. Overlap the next section and continue that way around room. If you've ever had problems in corners with the mesh being exposed after sanding, you'll appreciate the ease of a sanding block over a straight paper corner.

Reply to
eDeck.net

I agree, this is the way I do it.

Reply to
EXT

I also use paper on butt joints.

RicodJour

Paper for all. I've been around some mesh tape, never used it for actual taping...just repairs and large gaps that need filling.

It seams pun intended ;-) to me that I can achieve a smoother finish using paper tape, no banjo, just the spool hanging from my belt. I find bubbles can be greatly dimished by using thinned mud, and making sure there's a decent bed when laying the tape.

To each there own...use what works for you.

Darwin

Reply to
DAC

Back when I first attempted drywall, USG was warning that fiberglass tape worked only with setting compounds like Durabond, and that only paper tape was to be used with regular joint compounds to avoid cracking.

All I've ever used was paper, and no cracking so far.

Reply to
Bob (but not THAT Bob)

When I moved into my house I encountered a bunch of cracked areas in the basement. All of them were mesh tape. I interpreted this as a sign that you should follow the USG rules and I have always used the paper tape.

Reply to
adrian