fibered roof question

My ashphalt shingle roof is in need of replacement. My new neighbor, who claims to be some kind of roofing professional, told me I could "get another couple of years out of it" by essentially painting it with fibered roofing tar. Is this suggestion anything like true or is my new pal setting me up for a major replacement come next year?

The question is more for discussion than anything, since I am about 80% certain I'll do the roof anyway.

"x"ixstn wrote:>My ashphalt shingle roof is in need of replacement. My new neighbor, who

If you've got 2 or more roofs up there, you'll be tearing off. IMHO, the "bucket of tar" mentality has no place on a pitched roof (4/12 or steeper) and only increases the difficulty of tearing off, especially around chimneys and vent pipes. Looks like crap, and makes a mess, too. Follow the instructions, written on every bundle, especially the parts about flashing! Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

- x -

- Nehmo - He might be right, but if you can afford to replace the roof, that's the superior solution. Then, assuming it's done right, the problems are over for maybe 25 years.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

Sounds like your friend is the kind of roofing professional that shows up unannounced on a Sat in a pickup looking to do home repairs. He puts a quick coat of crap on your roof and disappears with your money.

Reply to
Chet Hayes