Fiber Optic Spyhole?

Page 1 of 3

Here's the problem:
I live in a 3 story house with a two car garage and workshop down on the ground floor. The living space begins on the second floor. I am in and out of the garage all day long and generally enter the house through there.
Going downstairs, I often open the door only to find I've left the lights on (sometimes overnight).
I was thinking: is there any sort of fiber optic thing that would mount on the door and allow me to see the light on the other side of the door? The stairwell is dark when I turn off its light from upstairs but I would be able to see I'd forgotten something without having to physically check.
I am open to other ideas... just want the lights out when I leave and I'm too unaware to do it through memory. I've got the dread CRS disease.
Jay

Install a motion sensor light switch. Easiest thing to do.

I'm thinking you're right. Added benefit for me would be that after I pause for 'a moment or two' to ponder my next step, the sudden darkness would jolt me back to reality.<g>
Do those things have 15-20 minute timers on them?
Jim

They are adjustable. Different ones have time setting ranges and some have adjustable field of view ranges so they're not accidentally triggered by movement outside the area to be lit.. For use in California I believe you have to have one that you have to turn on, but automatically turns off - not sure what's up with that. Most are automatic both ways.
On 8/12/2010 11:05 AM RicodJour spake thus:

Regarding that last thing, what are you talking about? I'm in California, have installed *lots* of motion-activated lights, and none of them work the way you described (at least I don't think so, based on your description)--they all work the conventional way, turned on by motion, turn off automatically, though they *can* be turned on manually by flicking a switch connected to them, which I assume is true of all similar lights sold across the U.S.
Regarding the adjustable on time, almost all of the ones I've installed (Heath-Zenith, the only ones you can get anywhere, it seems) have only 1-2-5 minute choices, nowhere near 15-20 minutes.
On 8/12/2010 11:17 AM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

My bad; I just checked a couple of old ones I pulled from service, and they're both 1-5-10 minutes. I think that's the standard.

I just grabbed this, you can DAGS on your own and see if you've been compliant or not:
"Standalone Motion Detecting Lighting Controls These devices mount in a wallbox and turn your lights on and off based on motion detected in the room. (Occupancy sensing.) Be sure the device you purchase has the mode you want. (For instance: Automatic On, Timed off.) Devices made for California Title 24 do not have an option for "automatic on." That feature is not allowed under Title 24. The motion detector's only function is to turn the light off once the room is vacated."
On 8/12/2010 11:37 AM RicodJour spake thus:

Hmm, I wasn't aware of Title XXIV; thanks for that. Have to look into it.
It looks like this is for lights installed in a room, not outdoor lights, to which I was referring. My apologies for any confusion there.
(I've never installed any of these lights indoors, so I guess I don't have to worry about the Compliance Police coming after me ...)

I guess the reasoning behind the no-automatic-on thing is so lights aren't unnecessarily turned on during the day if somebody walks into the room, but then the sensor should have a 'dawn-to-dusk' sensor over- ride. My hands are always full when I walk into a room, sometimes with packages, sometimes with just fingers, but they're always full and it's soooo much work to turn on the light. I'm tired just thinking about it!
On 8/12/2010 1:37 PM, RicodJour wrote:

It seems silly to me to not have automatic turn on, it's a good deterrent to burglars. I had a friend who was having problems with nightly trespassers dressed in black to match their skin. I setup a motion detecting floodlight with a 120vac fire horn attached. It went off one night and the next morning my friend found blood and bits of bloody cloth on the barbwire sections of the back fence. Automatic lights have their uses.
TDD
On 8/12/2010 1:05 PM, RicodJour wrote:

I despise motion activated lights in restrooms. When I'm dropping a load of ready-mix, the light always goes out when I'm half done. That's why I always have a flashlight or two in my possession at all times. 8-)
TDD

You not the only one ha ha he he
Grumpy wrote:

traffic that keeps resetting the timer, I'll get about halfway through an article in the trade rag, and darkness falls. And the sensor is facing the wrong way, and down the corridor by the entry door, to throw the magazine in front of the sensor to fool it. I don't know how blind people do such things by feel. Wipe until it hurts, and hope for the best, I guess. I keep one of those HF free lights in my briefcase, but the pants I can get away with wearing to work simply don't have pocket space to keep it on me at all times. And I refuse to start hanging crap off my belt, like all the techno-geeks on staff do. I have a couple of those trade-show button-cell squeeze lights someplace, but I also hate crap on my keyring, and I don't wear my badge on a lanyard.
--
aem sends...

No, no, no. The button-cell light will keep crap _off_ of your keyring...though I'm not sure what you're doing with your keyring in a toilet stall. Scratching some office graffiti into the partitions? ;)
RicodJour wrote:

When the evac klaxon goes off, we aren't allowed to return to our desks to get personal possessions like keys. I had to give a few people rides home, last time. Official Published SOP since then has been for all employees to keep badges and keys with them at all times. I carry as minimal a ring as possible, but both car keys have the fat heads on them, and the work keys say 'do not copy' on them, so I can't make a seperate key ring for the days I drive the other car. I wish cargo pants were considered acceptable office attire. I can only get away with wearing them on days where I am scheduled to spend the whole day in the raised-floor area.
--
aem sends...

On 8/12/2010 5:29 PM, aemeijers wrote:

The solution is a combination of motion and sound activation or even voice recognition. The technology is mature enough, unless the unit emits a little giggle whenever someone exclaims "CRAP!" whenever the lights go out.
TDD
Just wave an arm, and the light comes back on.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Install a motion sensor light switch. Easiest thing to do.
Or add another light in parallel on other side of door you don't need rocket scientist for that

I use one of these in my garage. Works great.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2exfqhg
Jay Hanig wrote:

If the light switch for the garage is on the garage wall just inside the garage near that door you want to "see through" it would likely be a simple job to put in a box and pilot lamp on the house side of that door and wire it so it's lit when the garage lights are on.
That's eggsackly what I did in our home over 20 years ago. I used a neon pilot lamp and it's lasted well all that time.
A couple of tips I use to help overcome the effects of my own CRS are:
If SWMBO asks me to pick up something en route home from work I take my wristwatch off its usual position on my left wrist and move it to my right wrist. Every time I look to see what time it is I'm remided of what it is I have to do.
If I need to take something out of the fridge and bring it into work (or bring something home from the office fridge.) I put my car keys on top of it. No way am I going to start driving until I've been to that fridge.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)