Fiber addiitiveve vs wire in new driveway

The contractor is trying to convince me that the the fiber glase additive is as good as re-inforcing wire . I dout it but there is some aregument maybe if the wire is not properly installed in the middle of the slab on chairs etc. . More discussion is apreciated.

Reply to
nospam4me

The fiber additive is best and should be added to all concrete. I have a section of fiber-added driveway that has no cracks after 12 years. Other sections with rebar only have many cracks. One of the DIY magazines recommended using both products in any new driveway.

Reply to
nonews

Be aware that WWF, especially 6-6/10-10, is not meant to reinforce concrete. It does not matter where it is positioned in the slab, it does not reinforce. Its primary purpose is to help keep cracked concrete in plane and help keep it from separating.

Fiber manufacturers contend that their product is equal.

Crack prevention and longevity of concrete depends more on subsoil preparation, concrete strength, popper curing, and proper construction/control joints.

is some

middle of

Reply to
DanG

Is that reinforcing bars or welded wire fabric? TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

pay for the steel. You will not regret it.

Reply to
PJx

Wire.

Check out the section on fibers versus wire at this site:

Climate is probably a big factor in reinforcing concrete. Here in the midsouth driveways are installed on graded clay with no other base preparation. When I lived in the upper Midwest, base layers of gravel were compacted and wire or rebar were used. Fibers were not available then.

I'm not a contractor or expert but I am impressed with what the fibers have delivered here; no cracks after 12 years, correction 14 years.

nonews

Is that reinforcing bars or welded wire fabric? TB

Reply to
nonews

Do you have a source for this? That's the first time I've heard this and it doesn't seem logical. Mesh is added to everything from some types of drywall tape to fiberglass tape used in things like boat construction and all are there to keep it from cracking to begin with, not hold it together after.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

What exactly is the fiber that they add?

Reply to
spamfree

You might also go to the Portland cement associations site and find a pdf by an concrete engineer explaining the differences between fiber and WWF.

reinforce

slab,

some

boat