Fiber addiitiveve vs wire in new driveway

The contractor is trying to convince me that the the fiber glase additive is as good as re-inforcing wire . I dout it but there is some aregument maybe if the wire is not properly installed in the middle of the slab on chairs etc. . More discussion is apreciated.
The fiber additive is best and should be added to all concrete. I have a section of fiber-added driveway that has no cracks after 12 years. Other sections with rebar only have many cracks. One of the DIY magazines recommended using both products in any new driveway.
The contractor is trying to convince me that the the fiber glase additive is as good as re-inforcing wire . I dout it but there is some aregument maybe if the wire is not properly installed in the middle of the slab on chairs etc. . More discussion is apreciated.

TB
Wire.
Check out the section on fibers versus wire at this site: www.smithconcreteco.com/faq1.htm
Climate is probably a big factor in reinforcing concrete. Here in the midsouth driveways are installed on graded clay with no other base preparation. When I lived in the upper Midwest, base layers of gravel were compacted and wire or rebar were used. Fibers were not available then.
I'm not a contractor or expert but I am impressed with what the fibers have delivered here; no cracks after 12 years, correction 14 years.
nonews

TB
Be aware that WWF, especially 6-6/10-10, is not meant to reinforce concrete. It does not matter where it is positioned in the slab, it does not reinforce. Its primary purpose is to help keep cracked concrete in plane and help keep it from separating.
Fiber manufacturers contend that their product is equal.
Crack prevention and longevity of concrete depends more on subsoil preparation, concrete strength, popper curing, and proper construction/control joints.

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/whatis/reinforcement.htm
http://www2.worldofconcrete.com/ThisMonth/ProbClinic.asp?ProbClinicID 60690b&PubID http://www2.worldofconcrete.com/ThisMonth/ProbClinic.asp?ProbClinicID=J950861B&PubID
You might also go to the Portland cement associations site and find a pdf by an concrete engineer explaining the differences between fiber and WWF.

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 02:26:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

pay for the steel. You will not regret it.
On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 02:26:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

What exactly is the fiber that they add?