FHA 203(k) repair/rehab loan for old house

As a current homeowner who has repaired and restored air-cooled VWs for years and because of a general love of anything old, I'd like to look into buying a historical house and restoring/preserving it (and of course living in it). I'm looking in the Knoxville TN area - particularly Old North Knoxville neighborhood. Does anyone have experience with a FHA 203(k) loan for house rehabilitation? Can it be used to buy a house that is over 100 years old and fix it? How difficult is it to bring a 100 year old house up to modern building code? Is it even possible? I realize this would be more of an adoption than a purchase. ;) Any links that I should look at? What am I getting into? :) I am looking at Queen Annes and Victorians. Most had been previously split up into apartments.

Thanks so much for any help! Jennifer

Reply to
Aquarijen