Fertilizer

Page 3 of 3

Illegal? Where is this? How is this enforced?

Often the case but new rules must still be voted on and a quorum is necessary (the usual problem is getting a quorum to get *rid* of lame rules or board members).

Doesn't sound like he could control much, or was it a *really* small condo.

Irrelevant.
On 10/11/2012 2:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Florida statues....owners would either make objection with the board or write to the state condo board.

That would be the "normal", but this board flagrantly ignored many procedural rules unless the ONE brassy owner objected, and it took STRENUOUS objection.

Really small and self managed until the last year or two that I was there.

Not irrelevant if "I can't afford it" is the reason for not paying monthly assessments, to the point that it is difficult to cover routine expenses.

...and what do _they_ do? Spank them?

If the vote was illegal it's hardly binding.

If three units made a majority...

It really is irrelevant. *WHY* is irrelevant in itself.
On 10/10/2012 8:51 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

HOAs can pretty much make rules about anything, as long as the rule doesn't violate a law. A local HOA bans all law signs, including political signs. One homeowner complained to the attorney general about it on the basis of free speech. She got the lecture about how the 1st Amendment only prohibits the gov't from restricting speech, not private parties (and HOAs are private, not governmental). Don't like it, don't buy into the development.
On 10/15/2012 9:05 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Have a lot of anti-abortion crusaders in my area with "Pray to End Abortion" signs in yards. I've contemplated "Pray to End Yard Signs"..or "Pray to End Wrongful Executions".
We've been house hunting recently, and found a great condo (town homes or duplexes) with lake access for bargain price....all same style and same color. Since I am of the age where I have traces of memory problems, I could anticipate taking a walk in that neighborhood and having trouble figuring out which one was mine...might never find my way home :o)
Now, that's a yard sign I can support.
I can also imagine having a hard time for me to find my way home.
I've contemplated "Pray to End Yard Signs"..or
We've been house hunting recently, and found a great condo (town homes or duplexes) with lake access for bargain price....all same style and same color. Since I am of the age where I have traces of memory problems, I could anticipate taking a walk in that neighborhood and having trouble figuring out which one was mine...might never find my way home :o)
Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Correct.
The HOA and the homeowner have entered into a contract. If the HOA feels the contract has been abridged, the HOA may sue the homeowner in court. The court, however, IS an agency of government and may be reluctant to use its authority in abridging the homeowner's First Amendment rights.
It's a puzzle sometimes.
On 10/15/2012 10:24 AM, HeyBub wrote:

In Florida, which has separate statutes for condo assns. and HOA's (HOA including mobile home parks), condo bylaws have the same status as statutes, subservient to fed., state, county, city. Sueing sounds so easy, but the losing party pays the costs.

Perhaps you could read the post I was responding to again, this time for comprehension.

That's why they call them Mexcrements. You should have shot the dirty wetback.
On 10/5/2012 2:30 PM, Rudy wrote:

Bingo.
or should I demand decency?

He was signing his work.