Fencing

No, I'm not selling stolen property. But there has been a bit of a rift between my Brother-in-law and me and his property surrounds mine on three sides. He did me the favor of having my property lines surveyed for me so I know where my place is. So I am thinking of putting up a fence around my property.
I am looking for something that is on the lower end of the cost scale but still looks good. I don't need a security fence or to keep animals out. I just need to keep my BIL and his family from driving their tractors and trucks on my property, Sometimes they leave some deep ruts in the lawn and don't even bother to fix them And they still encroach about 20 ft. onto my property with their corn field.
I would be fencing my property on three sides. The north and south boundaries are 200 ft. from the road to the back of the lot. The back line runs about 600 ft. There are no curves in the lot lines. The only angles would be just the two 90 degree turns.
David

It sounds like your lot was cut out of a family plot and they still consider it in the family therefore community property. That happens quite often and results in family rifts like yours. The situation rarely improves. You could drive sharpened stakes along the property line to puncture tires when they drive across them, or you could move. I'd consider moving before escalating a family feud. I'd never live within 5 miles of any family member anyway.
KC

How about a moat? No material cost, just time to dig.

Not a bad idea since the aquifer is only about 10 feet below the surface and all we have is easy digging sand just under the topsoil.
But I don't think the alligators would fare too well here in Michigan unless we heated the moat all winter. And that would be expensive.
hibb wrote:

Land mines.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

-- aem sends...

I do like big rocks. Sounds expensive, tho.

I wouldn't want to break any international treaties but I do feel there might be a few "F-Bombs" thrown around Tuesday.
On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 09:56:07 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,

Post and rail would look pretty good.
--

Don\'t worry about people stealing an idea. If it\'s original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.

That might be the best way to go.

David, that's like writing here and asking what the weather is going to be like tomorrow. Well, HERE, about 102. Where YOU live, it may be different.
Start at the local level. You can access your county records online. Find out what your zoning is if you don't already know it. You sound country, and may be a zoning designation that would allow barbed wire. I live in an agricultural zone, although it is very close to a residential area. The codes specify how tall the fence can be, how many strand it may have, and the level of the lowest strand from the ground.
No sense spending a dime until you find out exactly what you CAN do, as your relatives would certainly have a good laugh if you spent bucks and had to take it all down.
I don't envy your position. Any way you go, it is going to cost you, and family dinners and get togethers will never be the same.
Know whut uh mean, Vern?
Good luck
Steve

I have been mulling over giving the local zoning officer a call. She enjoyed it too much when we didn't get a building permit for my last addition for the house. She was just ribbing me tho and the contractor did keep telling me he was going to do it and I waited until the township treasurer sent word to get it done.
David

Shrubs or tress look good and can be cheap, depending on which ones you choose. You can also drive in steel t-posts to dissuade traffic instantly, but you can claim you're just using them to train up your plants.
I'd still talk it over with your neighbors, just to be nice.

I would like that but I do find it hard to be nice to anyone that would not only take his bigger share of he dad's stuff but rip off his handicapped sister for more. And he's already a millionaire for Chrissake.
David