Fence Restaining.

I am planning to restain my fence. I am going to powerwash it first, then apply a semi-transparent stain. Do you recommend oil or water based?
Senin wrote:

I have used both on stockade fence from Home Depot , I think the oil based it worth the extra effort. Same for water based polyurethane, I have seen that wear out in a year of heavy traffic (in a house)
Clark
Majority of stains are "combo" Alkyds - oil for penetration but water clean up. If it ain't metal, oil has no advantage.