Fence responsibilty?

Page 3 of 3
T > Scenario: You move into an existing sub were one of your next T > door neighbors has a property line fence because he has a pool. T > You have no other fencing other than the shared fence of above. T > T > 1. If this neighbor decided to remove the shared property line section T > of fence that is falling apart, and replace it with a new length, T > are you required to chip in with the cost?
Nope.
T > 2. If the neighbor puts up this new section of fence doesn't he have T > to have your approval before he puts it on the property line, T > otherwise he must put it just inside the property line?
According to local code, no. We had a section of new fence installed. Neighbouring house is rental -- that would have been "real interesting"! We did ask similar questions of the fencing contractor (thanks to prior threads in this newsgroup/conference). Contractor took his metal detector, swept for the front yard marker; back property line marker is still above ground. We actually gained a little over a foot of property.
T > I ask these questions because I have no use for fences. The shared T > fence is only there because of my neighbors pool. I have no clue as to T > if the previous owner of my house had any agreement with the original T > pool owner about the initial installation of the fence.
Whoever puts up the fence is responsible for it, as I understand things, and according to local code. (You might want to check with your local codes if you feel the need. Some of our's are available on-line.) AFAIK most codes require fencing around a pool, and since the pool is your neighbour's....
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Forrest Zen I am one with the chocolate
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971

Our next-door neighbor wanted to replace his fence on our side of his property. We received a notification by mail from an attorney that this was his plan. He also stated that the fence would be placed 6 inches inside his property line (on his side), and the main reason we were being notified was that they may need to step on our property to complete the removal/replacement of the fence. Not sure if that was done because of laws saying he had to notify us, or if he was just being a good neighbor and covering all of his bases. But we appreciated it - we had chickens and a dog at the time, so needed to make sure we could keep them confined.