Fence question

I have a brick house, just had most of my wooden fence replaced. It gets very close to the brick but is not attached. A post (set in concrete) is located a few inches from the wall, with boards nearly touching the wall (these are whole boards, so I guess they started there.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

When I said "right next" I meant within a half inch, maybe within a quarter inch, iirc, but I don't know why it would have to be that close. The fence was built before I bought the house. I've repaired my neighbor's fence, and his posts are square, by a different company, and I'm pretty sure that his post is not attached to his house either.
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

If the brickwork is super-sturdy, I'd attach to that. I have a wooden fence attached to the brickwork of the garage. Absent a sound brick fence...
It's likely you won't be able to place a post right next to the brick fence because the brick fence may have a substantial below-ground foundation. So, put the final post one or two feet from the brick fence and extend the pickets with suitable bracing until they butt against the brick.
On 03/22/07 10:47 pm I wrote:

1. The brickwork in question is what I would have called the "chimney-breast," but I see that that term is used primarily of brickwork that projects *into* the room. This is brickwork projecting out from the wall. The idea is to have an enclosed area behind this to prevent unauthorized access to an amateur radio antenna tower and a generator.
2. There is a French drain, so there is no way to install a regular in-ground fence post at that end.
From the responses already given, it seems that the best thing might be to put a regular fence post as close as possible to the brickwork -- about 2ft out -- with the short fence panel between that post and the brickwork not needing a whole lot of support at the chimney end. But I'll have to think about the aesthetic aspect.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Your generator and antenna care what the inside of the fence look like? ;)
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:17:07 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"

If it were a really good fence, it would have followed you to your new home.
There is not only the issue of weathering, but if something big bumps into the fence, it can take part of the brickwork down too.

Yepper. You DO NOT attach fences to the house. Houses are forever- fences are temporary structures.
aem sends....