Fence line

We built a home last year that sits behind another home. We have a

300 foot driveway between two front houses to get to our house. The neighbor in front of us is a junk collector of sorts and has piles of junk behind his garage. These piles are not visible to him but are a terrible eye sore for us. So we used our tax return to buy a 6' privacy fence to line the driveway and avoid seeing the junk. We purchased 25 panels and because we started a little shorter than originally planned (there was a large tree at the starting point) we ended up going past the piles of junk. Now the two front neighbors are angry that we have blocked their view of each other and want us to remove 4-5 panels of the fence. I do feel bad about this b/c it was not our intention to cause a problem, but those panels cost $100 each installed to just throw away 4-5 of them is like throwing away $500. Plus, we are planning to plant shrubbery and trees there anyway. Do we have to get clearance from these to neighbors whenever we want to do something in this area? The other option I thought of was to move the fence panels to the beginning of the line just start on the other side of the tree. That sounds good but that will cost money too. Money we don't have. I've thought about asking them to pay for the panels or the move, but I'm thinking this is just going to cause more trouble. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Reply to
jilliovino

Now the two front neighbors | are angry that we have blocked their view of each other and want us to | remove 4-5 panels of the fence.

I do feel bad about this b/c it was | not our intention to cause a problem, but those panels cost $100 each | installed to just throw away 4-5 of them is like throwing away $500. | Plus, we are planning to plant shrubbery and trees there anyway. Do we | have to get clearance from these to neighbors whenever we want to do | something in this area?

unless it is a corner lot.

The other option I thought of was to move the | fence panels to the beginning of the line just start on the other side | of the tree. That sounds good but that will cost money too. Money we | don't have. I've thought about asking them to pay for the panels or | the move, but I'm thinking this is just going to cause more trouble. | Any thoughts or suggestions?

tell your neighbors if they didn't help pay for the fence...............they have NO say in the matter.

Reply to
stainer

visit the local municapality about the trashed yard, there may be a ordinance about it.

around here junk cant be seen from the street.

I would plant a row of fast growing bushes anywhere I want on my property

Reply to
hallerb

doesn't really sound like they give a crap about you, why do you give a crap what they want? just tell them "sorry you feel that way, but you are tired of looking at that junk."

Reply to
longshot

I'd just honestly explain why you put the fence up. The best place to do this is in your yard in plain view of the junk so they can get an appreciation. Then, if they are willing to pay for your loss, consider taking down the portion that interferes with their view.

I'd not lose a penny, and I'd not give it to them at the sacrifice of my own happiness. Eventually they may get over it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Check your town/city ordinances or by-laws about fence heights, location etc. There just might be maximum height limits? Also if your property borderd on a roadway (which apparently it does not) there might be public traffic sight line requirements?

However it is doubtful that any fence would be anything close the height of even a one storey dwelling. So unlikely IMO there could be any municipal objections to fencing your own property. You could 'just mention in passing' without making any complaint or specific objection to it, while checking with the town etc. that reason for the fence is to eliminate view of junk area. Your not complaining just improving your amenities and your own property value.

On our property we have been careful to shield our 'junk' i.e. wood storage/sawing area from public and neighbour's sight by building our own fences. Although it is visible from the upper floor of a close relatives house, over the fence. No objections so far!

Reply to
terry

... If you have complied w/ all local zoning and any subdivision covenants in the erection of this (includes the obvious like type, height, setback(s), color(s), etc., etc., ... plus anything that might be unusual) then the neighbors have no say--you've lived up to any and all agreements/obligations you have. Anything less and they can request and receive relief from whatever portions of those limitations you may have violated. Beyond that, it's simply a case of whether you can find an amicable solution that is satisfactory to all parties.

There, you're on your own inititative to see what you can negotiate/ explain/rationalize that will improve/maintain relations. But, given that you have followed _all_ requirements as noted above, it's simply a case of what you're willing to sacrifice or what they're willing to offer to compensate.

Same rules apply to the shrubbery--if there are restrictions, those must be followed. If there are none, then simply commonsense and a sense of neighborliness is all that rules--what they like/want is only as important as your desire to maintain whatever level of contact/ amiability w/ the neighbors as you care to make accomodations to do.

Reply to
dpb

wrote

Too bad they didn't try being better neighbors before this happened, but it's to your benefit to try to work things out. If nothing else, you want to be on speaking terms with them, I assume, so if they get a barking dog or something, they might listen if you talk to them about it. Did you get permits for the fence? I know in my town you have to get one, I have no idea about where you live. Could be trouble if they complain.

Good luck with that.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

First, check your legal status: Do you own the land that the fence is on, or do you have an easement? If easement, look up the terms of the easement. What are the local ordnances regarding fences. What are the local ordnances regarding unsightly junk. (you should have checked these things before paying for a fence).

Now that you know where you stand legally, go negotiate with the neighbors.

Reply to
M Q

This was going to be my point so I will add to the reply above by saying that it of all the ones you have received is what I think is a prudent and proper course of action.

Get all the facts BEFORE you choose a course of action.

Reply to
Colbyt