Fence Bulding...again :)

At long last, I'm going to sink my fence posts. It rains a lot here, and the soil here is loose loam, well drained, few rocks. Sidewalks and driveways, etc., tend to sink and crack over time. I was just going to sink all of my posts in concrete, does anyone have any practical experience with wet climates and fence posts? Is there any reason not to do them this way?
"Zootal" wrote

If indirect experience is ok (havent done it personally) then am told the way to go is to bury a good sized plastic bucket and then set the post in that filled with cement.
Don't trap the bottom of the pole in concrete. I sure wouldn't use a pail. You need the bottom of the post to be able to dry. If it sits in a "bathtub" it will rot and snap off at the top of the concrete. The most simple method, throw a good sized round rock in the hole, set the pole on top of the rock and fill with concrete.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG wrote:

Or use metal posts. Bolt the 4x4 (or the runners) to the metal. Lasts for about a zillion years.