FEMA

They didn't say in the original post that they were disabled. I certainly don't expect a disabled person to get a job.

Having said that, I think the OP should be searching around for private charities to help them out. I would be asking places like the Red Cross and similiar places. I assume that their local charities would be overwhelmed so if I were them I'd search nationally. It doesn't hurt to ask. I would ask the Red Cross directly and see who they say to ask if they can't do anything. I don't think your first choice should have been what should some government agency do.

Reply to
scott21230

It seemed not to and needn't matter to those who gave no commentary, and only gave answers to his questions about how to repair his roof. I have no objection to people who just wanted to answer the roof questions.

But it apparently did matter to those who gave him a hard time, and that's what I tried to explain.

I don't see why. No one including me asked for it. But his year of birth would be interesting, since he suggested that he was old. "Perhaps the original post, which is me is old and disabled?"

He himself brought up his personal life.

He opened the door by tellling us how low his income was,

He spent 5 long sentences talking about the injustice of his situation, but in 3 of those he crapped on people who *did* get money from FEMA.

He says, My history doesn't matter, but he brought up the history of others.

Then after some replies gave him a hard time, he wrote as if his feelings were hurt or as if he was outraged.

And I explained why they were willing to hurt his feelings and why he is not a sympathetic figure.

I may well be doing him a favor. It's like telling someone before he goes to a job interview that he has bad breath. The stafff at Insurance companies and FEMA, have limited time and even some discretion. If he doesn't realize that the time spent crapping on other people can irritate those who listen, now he knows and he can avoid sinking his own ship on appeal. It's too late for anything he might have said to them before.

mm

That's for sure. The mother of the friend I mentioned had for decades a modest home in .. I think we were still in Tamarac, Fl, and they had iirc shutters that got bolted over the windows when storms were expected. Not the pretty shutters with hinges and louvers that one sees in the northeast, but solid ones. Of course this doesn't protect the shingled roof.

Now that she is old and widowed, the condo community she moved to sells, and I think everyone has steel shutters of the sort above, and the window frames were built with, or there has already been drilled, holes to accept the bolts that hold these steel shutters.

I'm sure it was dark in the apartment after their power failed but when the shutters were still on.

They also had these half-barrel tiles on the roof, and in a n'hood that has more than 1000 people, they lost a few hundred tiles, which is not many considering. I guess the bulk of the storm missed them. Their deductible is iirc 1% of the value of their condo. (maybe that is the average price of condos sold this year.) Since there is one apartment on top of another, 2 high, I don't know if the costs is shared by those two owners, or the entire cost is shared by everyone.

mm

Red Cross does not provide for repair of structures. I went to the State of Florida website, which had a link to "disaster housing" - clicked on it and got "Disaster Housing Online". Clicked on "hot topics" and got this:

The DH site is searchable by state.

I would check with county government and with the local agencies for elderly, assuming OP is older. Most aid agenencies are overtaxed, and many needs much more critical (unfortunately) than the OP's.

If coastal homes in FL are damaged more than 50%, they cannot be rebuilt as they were - have to move up one story. Just in the 8 years I have lived where I live, one nearby barrier island, which formerly had a channel between it and the mainland, joined itself to the mainland. The coast moves all over the place, always has, especially in Florida.

I was out shelling one day, standing in ankle deep water between two small sandbars. When the tide started running faster, I had trouble standing. Just shows the power of the oceans in minute detail :o)

Good luck :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Sounds like you've done everything I can think of other than perhaps contact American Red Cross and see if they have any other resources for you. BTW, I applied for an SBA disaster loan, was approved (at the higher interest rate due to good credit - go figure!) and decided not to accept the loan because the reporting and follow up paperwork looked like a nightmare. Well, they are still sending me late payment notices even though their records show I've never accepted or cashed any of their checks. Unfortunately not the most efficient agency. Well, best of luck to you!

Reply to
chattycat

Forgot to suggest in my previous reply that you contact a local chapter of United Way or other non-profit group like Catholic Charities. Even if they can't help directly, they may know of organizations that can help.

Reply to
chattycat

The term that comes to mind is "agenda". The people who run FEMA have a different one than you and I. Somehow, the primaries don't seem to elect folks who have t he common man's agenda at heart. So we choose either Tweedle Dumb, or Tweedle Dumber.

I think the agenda of the moment is to take money away from working people, and give the money to worthless welfare debris.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon