FEMA

Page 3 of 3
They didn't say in the original post that they were disabled. I certainly don't expect a disabled person to get a job.
Having said that, I think the OP should be searching around for private charities to help them out. I would be asking places like the Red Cross and similiar places. I assume that their local charities would be overwhelmed so if I were them I'd search nationally. It doesn't hurt to ask. I would ask the Red Cross directly and see who they say to ask if they can't do anything. I don't think your first choice should have been what should some government agency do.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

State of Florida website, which had a link to "disaster housing" - clicked on it and got "Disaster Housing Online". Clicked on "hot topics" and got this:
http://www.dhronline.org/hotTopics.cfm
The DH site is searchable by state.
I would check with county government and with the local agencies for elderly, assuming OP is older. Most aid agenencies are overtaxed, and many needs much more critical (unfortunately) than the OP's.
If coastal homes in FL are damaged more than 50%, they cannot be rebuilt as they were - have to move up one story. Just in the 8 years I have lived where I live, one nearby barrier island, which formerly had a channel between it and the mainland, joined itself to the mainland. The coast moves all over the place, always has, especially in Florida.
I was out shelling one day, standing in ankle deep water between two small sandbars. When the tide started running faster, I had trouble standing. Just shows the power of the oceans in minute detail :o)
Good luck :o)
My sympathy goes out to you for losing your roof and not having the money to pay for it, and to Biloxi Boy for losing all his possessions and having to rebuild his home from the frame
I have begun to wonder why you received so little sympathy from a portion of the repliers.
I think I know why.
You said nothing in your original post nothing about any prior catastrophic medical bills, or that you are old and disabled. In fact you still haven't said that any of these things apply to you, only that "maybe" they do and "perhaps" they do.
So far you say only that you worked since you were 11, served in the military for 4 years, paid taxes all your life, and were responsible, These are all good things but only starting work at 11 is extraordinary. And you don't say if you quit school to work full time, or if you mowed lawns, like I did at that age, or where in between your situation falls
See below.
wrote:

But you did find time in your first post to make all these points that hint of a nasty attitude a) to those who lost more than you, b) to those whose possible status on welfare has nothing to do with Wilma, and c) you hint in your last sentence that you would like to say something so nasty that even you won't post it.
Maybe it is because you are angry now, and will eventually cool off, and wouldn't otherwise make such nasty cracks about others.
But really, based on all the people I know, I don't think such feelings as you seem to express are temporary. And conversely, I've found that people who don't feel or talk that way, actually don't talk that way any more so when they are angry.
You are more concerned with crapping on other people than describing your own problems.
Even though normally someone in your situation would be, you are not a sympathetic character.
My history means nothing. I stated a few facts just to shut up some people on this newsgroup that have nothing better to do than to ridicule or make light of someone else's position. There is one in particular that I will say a prayer for and I hope he never has any setbacks, illnesses, losses, etc. in his life because his lack of compassion will bounce back on him one day and he'll regret a lot of things he has said to people. I thank most of the people for some nice advise and good wishes and would like to end this topic right here.

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 01:52:48 GMT, "FDR"

The term that comes to mind is "agenda". The people who run FEMA have a different one than you and I. Somehow, the primaries don't seem to elect folks who have t he common man's agenda at heart. So we choose either Tweedle Dumb, or Tweedle Dumber.
I think the agenda of the moment is to take money away from working people, and give the money to worthless welfare debris.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.