Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreight MultiTool

Page 1 of 2

I'm 3/4 of the way through a DIY refinish (interior) of 11 wood frame windows and 8 wood door frames. The reason is wall paint over-paint on the unpainted (stained / poly / varnish) wood frames.
I'm using the harbor Freight Multi Tool. The tool has performed well, with the exception of the Velcro sanding pad (the foam pad, not the sand paper). The plastic hooks are now so worn that the felt backed sandpaper pads no longer stick. The hooks have broken off little by little.
Trouble is, Harbor Freight doesn't sell that part (product #65700 or 67256) part #502). At least not in my local store, nor is it listed in their website.
I found these on Amazon.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Anyone know if they will work on the HF tool? Is the mounting hole and sandpaper size the same?
--
Tony Sivori
✖

For about the same price as that, Harbor Fright has a complete palm sander
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber˜622
The attachment system on the Fein is quite different from the Harbor Fright version. I doubt it would be adaptable. The HB unit needs the mounting hole deeply recessed, among other issues. Maybe you could slice off the old hooks, or grind them smooth, and glue on some new ones made from a few strips of standard velcro.
Add pictures here
✖
salty wrote:

It might work, if the pad is think enough. I'll check it out. I need a fairly thick pad because not all of the surfaces are flat

Excellent idea! I'm looking at the HF pad, and the hook and loop surface will cleanly peel off from the foam. All I'll need to do is find an adhesive backed piece of velcro that is large enough, with good enough glue. I know I've seen it in tape form, perhaps it is sold in sheets.
--
Tony Sivori
✖

Is there a West Marine boat store near you? They sell several varieties of Velcro including one that is labled as "Industrial strength" or "Heavy Duty" or something . That stuff has a very powerful adhesive backing.
Then again, you can buy velcro pieces from any crafts or fabric store and use contact cement to attach it. You don't really need a sheet though. Just glue strips side by side and then trim to conform to the triangle after it is dry.
Add pictures here
✖
salty wrote:

Ok, I had a look at the Harbor Freight palm sander. Not suitable for what I need. The foam pad is very thin compared to the Multi Tool. So it won't sand shaped wood work as well as the deeply padded Multi Tool sanding attachment.
The real killer is that the palm sander used the same hook and loop paper attachment method as the Multi Tool.
--
Tony Sivori
✖
Tony Sivori wrote:

The Dremel pad will probably fit (the blades sure do). (Amazon.com product link shortened)60223690&sr=8-6
You might be able to find the Dremel pad at either Loews or Home Depot.
In the alternative, try gluing some Velcro to your worn-out pad. Even better, slather some rubber cement to both the pad and the sandpaper. Let it dry and slap 'em together.
Add pictures here
✖
HeyBub wrote:

I just got back from Lowe's. They sell the Dremel, but they didn't have replacement sanding pads.

I got some 2" wide velcro tape. 3" would have been perfect, but they didn't have it that wide. The four foot long roll was $10. If it works there is enough to recondition the sanding pad about 14 times.
It will be this weekend before I have time to get back to the door and window frames. For the benefit of those who have the tool, I post how well the tape worked, if it works.
--
Tony Sivori
✖

Keep track of your expenditures and time involved. Let us know when you hit the "I could have bought a better unit for what I've invested in this thing" point.
✖
On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 09:45:34 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

The HF multi-tool sells for $39. The Fein version costs roughly 10 times that. He could simply buy a whole new HF unit every time the pad wears out and still spend far less than "buying a better unit". The Fein would no doubt also need a new pad periodically.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 8, 1:02 pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I didn't mean to imply that it had to be a Fein - there are cheaper alternatives. I was commenting on the "buy a cheap tool and find a new maintenance hobby" method.
✖
On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 10:36:56 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

I understand the sentiment, but I don't think it really applies in this case. The tool isn't broken. A piece of velcro wore out from extensive use. Same thing could happen on the Fein, except replacing it on the Fein would be a lot more expensive.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 8, 1:46 pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Once again, I didn't mention Fein, but yes, of course you're right - anything can wear out. As in most tools, the consumables and replacement parts are what comprise the bulk of the true cost of ownership. Harbor Freight tools are noticeably lacking in some areas, this being one of them. Jury rigged repairs to oscillating tool pads won't come near the life of a store bought pad. As the HF sanding pad has already worn out, and proven itself to be a weak spot, I'd look at modifying a better quality pad and getting increased longevity. The HF pad foam rubber backing will not last very long with the increased stress from replacing the hook and loop.
✖
On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 11:32:01 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

Now you are just being absurd, Rico.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 8, 3:17 pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

?
I'd rather spend ten minutes adapting a better quality pad and do it once, then spending ten minutes a couple or three times on an accelerated schedule in hopes of keeping an inferior pad going. You do realize that he's talking about cutting off the old H&L and gluing on new stuff, right? What are the odds that the new surface will be anywhere as near to flat as an unadulterated pad?
Pretend that the hook and loop replacement sticks well to the HF pad, it will pull the foam pad apart when it's time to replace it. Then he's right back in the same spot. If it doesn't stick well, then it's just wasted time.
There's no advantage in spending time and money trying to keep a bad item going. Just bite the bullet and spend the $20 to get two better pads. What's absurd about that? I'm not being a wise ass, I really don't understand what you think is absurd.
✖
On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 14:15:20 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

What better pads? Do you know a part number and source for better pads? The replacement pad for a Fein is around $60 plus shipping, and could not be adapted to the HF tool. I know because I own both tools and know the differences. A whole new HF tool with a new pad is a lot less than $60 plus shipping for a part that won't work.
That's why I think you are being absurd you are raising all sorts of ideas that are non-starters as an alternative to something that will most certainly work.
I even gave the alternative of buying a disposable palm sander for $12 that would finish his project quite handily.
Do you have any concrete help, or just aimless conjecture and doomsaying?
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Do the rest of us get to vote?
Add pictures here
✖

I bid 500 rupees.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 8, 7:24 pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I do not own a HF...anything, but the HF blades fit a Fein Multimaster, right? Why would a blade fit and a sanding pad not fit?
The replacement pads I've bought for the Fein were much cheaper - ~$21 delivered for a two-fer. (Amazon.com product link shortened) Fein has singletons which range up to a bit north of $30 delivered. Which one are you buying that costs $60 plus shipping?

He already has a disposable tool.

Sorry. I don't think the Pope is infallible, and, well, you're not the Pope.
You need to lighten up. Like I said, I don't own the tool, but there are people that do. This forum is one way to address these questions and people running into this same problem will search for an answer. Saying a blanket "it can't be done" doesn't clarify it for me, and I doubt it will clarify it for others. That's why I am asking the questions.
HeyBub was making fookin multitool blades from saw blades as I recall. There are a lot of people that are fairly handy - HeyBub, this doesn't mean you :)~ - and I'm sure that there is probably some way to make another manufacturer's better quality pad fit. Maybe not a Fein, but there are at least five or six competing tools out there now. If you don't think modifying a better pad to fit makes sense, that's an opinion until you provide specifics. If it would take a ridiculous amount of effort to make the modification, then it becomes an exercise in futility.
My original point was that it doesn't make sense to put a band-aid on an inferior part when for the same amount of money and effort you can probably modify a better part.
✖
RicodJour wrote:

I'll go for the last. In the instant case, modification should be trivial. For those not familiar, the sanding pad for a HF tool is constructed thusly:
* A 2.5", triangular, metal base with a hole for a bolt in the center. * This metal pad is covered with a 3/8" thick, stiff, sponge-rubber base, also with a hole in the center. * The sponge-rubber base is covered on the business side with teeny Velcro hooks.
The operator mounts the contraption on the tool with a hex-bolt and snugs the bolt REALLY tight. Then he slaps a Velcro-loop backed bit of sandpaper on the result.
The ONLY way a competing pad could be incompatible with the HF pad is if the bolt hole in the metal plate was too small. This can be easily remedied with a drill.
Add pictures here
✖
HeyBub wrote:

In case you or anyone else that owns the Harbor Freight multi tool is interested, I replaced the original hook surface on the sanding pad with adhesive backed velcro.
I used it and it works great. The first thing I noticed was the on the brand name Velcro tape, the hooks were much denser than the Harbor Freight original part.
After a few hours of use, and applying substantial pressure to the tool (letting the tool do the work, the job was taking forever) the replacement velcro is holding up a lot better than the original.
--
Tony Sivori
✖