Feeling a cold draft (locating source)

Sitting in my living room while watching TV. I can feel a cold air draft move by. I recently put in Celular shades to keep cold from comming from the windows. Also put in a new storm door to reduce drafts from the front door.

Is there a good way of targeting where the cold air is from? Also, is it possible it would be comming from the under the baseboards?

c_kubie

Reply to
c_kubie

Try lighting a candle then blow it out, move it around while its still smoking to see which way the smoke blows. If your a smoker just move around a lit cigarette or cigar and watch the smoke.

Reply to
Brikp

wrote

Go to a crafts or home decorating store and buy a couple of incense sticks. They work great as smoke pencils and make the place smell nice too. Besides if you have any hippy friends you'll never get rid of them ;

Reply to
Dave Gower

Now there's a dandy idea. Saves me from having to buy some Corona Emphysemas and polluting the house while I ferret out the Arctic breezes. Thanks Dave...

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

The house is haunted. What you feel is the presence of the ghosts moving about.

Reply to
Bell

Ghosts!

Who You Gunna Call????!!!!!

:-P

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

Stairwells are your prime candidate. Tack a blanket across the top of the stairs. This will block the flow of warm air from the lower level and the cold air from upstairs down to your living area.

Reply to
William W. Plummer
041216 1553 - William W. Plummer posted:

Check the fireplace too, if you have one...

Reply to
indago

Someone recommended purchasing incense sticks. I would add putting a fan in the window to exhaust inside air. You want to create a draft to find the leaks.

You should shut off your appliances or furnance when you do this. Go around your home with the burning incense or a water spray bottle to wet your hand to feel the cold around electric outlets, doors, floor and wall joints, windows, paneling joints, penetrations by water or waste pipes, ceiling fixtures, etc...

You'll find a lot of places you can seal with caulk no doubt. You can make a list as you go of the drafty spots and go back later to fix it. Have fun.

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

Reply to
Bell

You have received many replies but they're all guesses. You haven't given enough info to determine what the source might be. Everyone assumes you have a house just like their's or at least what they are familiar with.

Age and configuration of house, single/multi story; basement; type of heating system, if recirculating air, where are the outlet and return registers located, ceiling/wall/floor; fireplace?

Reply to
Andy Asberry