Feedback please: Filling drywalled partition with concrete...

Page 3 of 4

They took away our credit cards (along with a lot of other things) in the brig....
John wrote:

I worked for a guy who went in for some differences in opinion on his taxes. The first full day in jail, his credit card company called for him and I told them that he was "out of town for some time". ;-) After some prying, they told me there had been over $1,000 charged to it in half a day, all for gasoline. I guess someone working at the jail was taking and selling credit cards. I told them that he isn't in that city where the gasoline was purchased, but they wouldn't cancel his card until they spoke to his wife. I didn't know how to get hold of her that day so I called back and in a very poor sounding high pitched voice, acted as the Mrs. and gave them permission to cancel the card.
--
Tony

I understand that in the real joint, they have a form of credit card for "in (the big) house" use.
Jim

When they transferred me to the military brig in Charleston, SC, they took all monies, cards, etc... They created me an account that I could use at the commissary to buy smokes (I don't smoke though), clothing, etc... Since it was the military, we had our names sewn on our cami's, so any other "cards" or identification wasn't necessary. They might issue cards in a civilian camp. All military brigs, except Leavenworth, are country clubs for "bad" military personnel. If there would've been a tennis court there, I'm sure they would've made us pay rent.

have one helluva resume'.
Jim

Actually, that's what the good thing about being in the military clink. My resume states USAF 4 years. My records are sealed, so no worry of a potential employer finding out.
I think you'd get as good or better sound deadening by filling with the wall cavities with granular mica (the little light colored bits in potting soil). It would flow nicely through a small hole and a granular fill would kill the sound better than foam board, concrete, etc.

I am dying to know: What exactly are you trying to mask with this, ahem, creative suggestion of using concrete in your walls? What exactly is the problem?

reinforce the drywall to prevent bulging, as he indicates he can prepare for) and is a partition supposing temperature control on both sides (otherwise, it would be insulated with something that would prevent completely filling the voids with concrete, even if saturated and compressed . . . what a mess!), it must not be a party wall, as it would be between adjacent apartments, etc.
Therefore, it is likely a partition between adjacent rooms within the OP's own abode. Let us assume, then, the OP's spouse (I assume the OP is a male, but we don't really know. Only a male would even think he could make the improvements he proposes, but perhaps it the OP is a female.), whether male or female is entertaining someone other than the OP, himself or herself, in the room on the other side. That likely would bother the OP. Even if he/she might enjoy watching, hearing only certainly would be frustrating. And, if he really is bothered, maybe he can't describe what it is bothering him, despite not posting his/her identity, because prying eyes within his/her own household may well see his post, causing undesired ramifications. Or, the OP's signature may be known amongst his/her other correspondents.
I believe it is far more fun for us to hypothesize than to have known the actual cause of the OP's frustrations. I'm confident we will be sorely disappointed should we actually learn the truth. Aren't we usually?
I mean, if we were told in the original post, rather than the OP excusing him/herself, would this thread even have started? Perhaps, but not so continued.
Jim

I am a male. (Sorry, I should have taken care to grunt; this being a _construction_ forum afterall... <g>)
Guest987

It may be more fun, but in my profession we usually define problems before we define resolutions for them.

actually resolving the OP's "problem". I'm sure that in your profession as in mine, our problems and our solutions are genuine, "serious" problems . . . and even then we sometimes escape to the inane for a moment or two, unless you are a funeral director.
Jim
(And, even if you are, there are those moments . . . )

If I read your comment correctly... how can one be so certain that my sound transmission (i.e. noise) problem is not genuine or "serious" (...my 'off the wall' --yes, pun intended-- trial balloon "solution", notwithstanding)?
Guest987

pitch or low pitch. Low would be base drums, base guitar, stomping, etc.. Most others would be high. Each type is attacked differently. Cheapst way to block low would be with lead sheets or cement board attached to one side of the walls. You can always do the other side if you must later on.
For other common sounds you would need to block air flow between rooms. So if two outlets share the same stud cavity, one must be disconected and blocked off. Fill the wall with foil foam by scoring and snappin sheets just like with drywall. When putting drywall back on one side that was removed use generous amounts of construction adhesive between the studs and drywall. This is one of the best uses for adhesive. It is rubbery so it reduces sound transmission. The drywall on that side will no longer act like a large speaker.
AndrewJ wrote:

A well written reply.

. . . I'm sure your problem is serious. In fact it is a common problem. That's sorta the point I was making: without the many, many responses that went well outside of being serious, there would not be much of this thread remaining. Your trial balloon, however, did prompt some of those less than sincere responses. It was the balloon, Guest, not the problem. And, to you, I'm sure the balloon was serious as well, being a measure to illustrate your complete frustration.
Take some comfort in being with lots of company. Many have tried solutions beyond your or my immaginations. Some may have even worked, but there is such a thing as economic feasibility.
Anyway, thanks for providing some fodder.

Okay. I misread your post.

Exactly! Though this is indeed MY house and should be able to tell it's occupants to not be noisy, I co-own it (and due to recent circumstances, now share it) with a previously estranged family member and her difficult 20 year old son (who thinks HE owns the place) who's 'condo', er bedroom, is right next to my quarters... <g>

Well it was, in fact, short-term economics that inspired me to think of it. My original plan was to use 1/8" thick lead sheeting (cheaper and 2x heavier than other, non-lead, mass loaded sheet products sold this purpose, but still costly) along with lots of drywall (and liberal use of silicone), plus decoupling measures (e.g. staggered-stud frame and/or resilient channel, etc.), plus possibly either sprayed cellulose or Homosote board inside the wall spaces. But my financial situation suddenly changed and I faced the disappointing realization that I could not immediately afford even the lead sheeting, which alone (covered by a layer of drywall) might afford some immediate noise relief. In the meantime, more holes were being punched through the drywall on my nephews side of the wall. (He does this whenever he has an argument with his girlfrind, which is quite often.) So then, in my dreams (that is, between sleep interruptions) I had fantasies of having a wall composed of a solid mass of depleted uranium or U-238, a metal harder than steel with a mass density greater than lead (used by the military to form the super strong armor-plating on the remarkable Abrams M-1 tank, among other uses). When I awoke I thought to myself, "Crazy dreams. U-238! Ha, ha, ha, ha... I don't even have access to 'civilian grade' lead sheeting right now. Oh but just a minute! Come to think of it, I do have these bags of cement in my garage. I wonder ..." <g>

You're welcome, Guest987

After we define the problem, we use this development tool to come up with a solution:
http://www.dack.com/web/bullshit.html
http://www.soundproofing.org /