"Federal Pacific" Breaker box

Page 2 of 2

I few years ago I replaced our 1967 Fed Pacific 100A panel with a Square D "Q0" series with an upgrade to 200A service. I did the work myself and it ran around $500 (including the local permit and inspection). I live in central Ohio (Westerville) any their codes allow the homeowner to do the work on their own house. A neighbor contracted basically the same work in their house to an electrician and it was about $1,200. In both cases is was essentially a swap out of the panel and re-attaching the existing circuits the new panel.
By the way, in no way am I suggesting that having a pro do the work is a waste or anything. I have some experience (nothing this big before, though) and did a lot of research and felt I could do the work. My neighbor didn't feel comfortable taking something like that and to him the cost was reasonable (the pro also did the work in about 4 hours, my job took all day..)
Mike O.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Not at all. In addition to unreliable breakers, the FPE panels, at least the "stab-loc" ones suffer from a truly atrocious and inadequate buss attachment connection. Even if the breakers were prefect, the buss itself is a threat.

See above comments. Perhaps you don't have a "stab-loc" version, but if you do and think those bus connections are OK then your engineering degree is either in an unrelated field or should be revoked.
Pete C.

Actually, it is quite viable. While "Federal Pacific" "legacy replacements" in the US are quite expensive, "Federal Pioneer" in Canada is no more expensive than any other breaker, and cheaper than many [+].
If you live near the border, or find a mail/Internet order source, it's quite doable.
The Federal Pioneer breakers are fully approved to US standards.
[+] I think somebody's making a fortune shipping Federal Pioneer to the US and making a fortune off people who don't know any better.
--
Chris Lewis,

On 7 Nov 2006 05:42:26 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

IMHO:
If this was my house, and knowing how easy it is to just change out the service panel, no upgrades, I would do it.
But that is me...
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info
I have one of those FPE stab lock panels and have personally seen a no trip, the short eventually exploded. I was stunned....
Replacement is at the top of my to do list, awaiting some bucks
I didn't read the other messages as this message string was getting long but when I was on the home hunt 6 months ago, my electrician uncle-in-law and electrician father-in-law warned me not to buy a home with a Federal Pacific breaker panel. I was told that the problem is in the quality of wiring used in the panel box and the fact that it has caused many electrical fires in homes. Pretty scary thought when you think about it.
If you are going to make improvements anyway, I would look into changing out your electrical panel and any potentially faulty wiring leading to and leaving your electrical panel.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted for all of us...

Asked and answered MANY times - do your own research.

Thanks for all the help gents! I had an electrician come out yesterday morning, for $60 an hour. He was done in less than three and did an incredible job. (had to cut drywall and plywood sheathing in my garage to make the new Square D box fit)
I went to Homedepot the night before and got hte box for $159 with 5 20 amp breakers and bought various other breakers to bring the total to $220 and change... I was exstatic.
Between the $220 for materials (bought it myself, took 5 minutes...and I got to chat with the fellas at the hardware store, always fun) and $180 for labor the total came to around $400! They quoted that it would cost $700, until I told them I'd buy my own materials.
I was worried after seeing your postings, and am so glad now I have a modern unit with plenty of expansion room... and it didn't even ding my remodel budget.

I'm curious as to whether the electrician installed two ground rods and bonded your interior metal piping as part of your upgrade? Did he get a permit for the work and have it inspected?
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 07:28:32 -0500, "John Grabowski"

imho:
I was wondering too.... was the system as a whole upgraded, especially with the sensitivity to voltage variants of today's electronics? Plus, were they they propertly managed, insurance, permits, and inspections?
You might get what you pay for, but more than often I've seen people get less. :(
later,
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info
What kind of electrician installs a box that the home owner bought at Home Depot? Don't electricians bring their own equipment?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

imho:
Yes, and typicaly they charge the customer fair retail value. The idea I have is when the customer doesn't get 'everything' the electrician can draw out the per hour rate by making additional trips to the store.
Go figure.
later,
tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com
there are all sorts of electricians.
the company owner who has a pyroll insurance and all sorts of stuff to pay $$$$$$$$$$$$
The fellow down the street who used to work for a electrician and now makes some side cash money no overhead doing jobs like these $$ he knows how and can be safe mo overhead or income tax

IMHO, I got advice about trades people, from people who got burned by part-time electricians/plumbers/tax advisors/etc:
1. If they are so good at it, whey don't they do it full time?
2. If they don't behave like professional business people, (license, insurance, documentation) how 'professional' is the work.
Just thinking out loud....
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

lots of excellent tradespeople do side jobs for cash, avoiding lots of tax and child support issues.
provided they do good work at low prices it proibably doesnt matter except for the moral issues
Tom The Great wrote:

Think harder! A lot of these people are retired professionals just looking to pick up some cash from time to time, some even just want to help neighbors and older people. Others may have a regular job but do their old profession to pick up a little cash from time to time.
Then there are a few that don't know what they are doing.
Having a license is no indication that the work will be good, and having no license is no indication that the work will be lousy.
On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 00:02:23 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

I, as a consumer, would not hire someone that would circumvent local rules, by not having a license in an area requiring a license.
That is my personal option, and having to had 'clean-up' work done by unlicensed electricians, I feel my option is strongly fact based.
But then I have an adversion to house fire. :D
tom

I as a consumer look for a good deal.........
Being licensed is no guarantee of quality, license cancelled they just start over.
word of mouth is often the best indicator....
but I DONT have extra bucks to throw away:(