Federal Flood insurance.

Page 1 of 2
Heard a guy on TV, (don't remember who it was but it was during NO coverage) that said everyone should have Federal Flood Insurance, since it can be had for a couple of hundred $.
If that is the case, and I am not sure that it is, then everyone would have it, I guess. Any hard Dollar figures for how much it costs for the Federal Flood Insurance? Thanks Sam
Add pictures here
βœ–
Saml wrote:

Before AMUN the MORON comes along with wrong advice (like he does w/ everything else) know this:
the net is full of good advice about flood insurance. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q ώderal+flood+insurance&btnG=Google+Search
Add pictures here
βœ–

coverage)
had
have
I had flood insurance once. They drew the line down the middle of the street I lived on. My side had to have it and the other side did not. In Arizona in the property seller has to state if the property has Federal Flood insurance. There are no private companies that I know of that write the insurance. There are a lot of private companies that will sell it, with their markup on the policy.
I lived in a very low risk area, the insurance for a $75k home and $30k of belongs was $300.00 in 1990. There was a levy 3 miles north of my home that was designed to hold water from a water shed. If it broke then that property would have flooded and so would have most of north Phoenix. In the 30 years I have lived here I have never seen any measurable amount of water for any length of time behind the levy. Now days builders are using the land for $750k and up homes on larger than acre lots. It will catch up to them the next time we have a really wet year(s) like we did in the 70's and early 80's.
I would bet before Katrina flood insurance would have cost thousands of dollars per unit of value. Below sea level is not a good indication. That is why very few if any will have flood insurance. Since the political bozos of the country have declared it a disaster area we the tax payers will get to pay a big chunk of the rebuilding just like the last time in 2000.
Add pictures here
βœ–
[snip]

Further consideration -- flood insurance is a prerequisite in any flood plain area before a mortgage company will loan on a property, either a first or second mortgage. As a result, I expect that almost any property that has a mortage on it in the NO area will also have flood insurance --
Add pictures here
βœ–

This is Turtle.
Flood insurance is determined as to what zone you live in. If you live in a zone that floods everyday they are more and places that never flood the cost less.
My house flooed YEARS ago because of stopped up drainage canal and is listed as a long shot to flood. It cost me $250.00 a year for $105K house and $55K Content in a long shot zone.
Here is a little secret for you. If the Sewer system in your area gets stopped up and backs up to flood your house. Your home owner insurance will not pay for it. Any water that rises into a house is call flood and you need Flood insuranse for that. Now if a Towlet just hangs up and runs over it is Home owners insurace that covers it.
any water that backs up into your house is Flood water to pay and any water that comes down into your house is called Home owner insurance to pay.
All the homes in New Orleans that flooded will be called flood insurance and none will be called home owners insurance.
TURTLE
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 13:48:01 -0500, TURTLE wrote:

You think so? Did the water in N.O. "back up" into the houses, or "come down into" them?
Methinks you don't have a clue.
--
My newsreader auto-deletes all posts that originate from Google Groups.
βœ–

This is Turtle.
earth to Dan 0 , when the levey broke , do you think the water flew back up in the ski and then come down into the homes or just backed up into the homes. i do a lot of write ups for FEMA and flood insurance on HVAC and Refrigeration equipment and have to know what the rules are when claiming flood insurance on a hvac system or refrigeration system. Any rising water than gets in your home is called flood insurance. any rain water, storm, winds, or objects that cause damage while hitting the house is covered. and Also fire and trees hitting your house is insurance.
So Anything that rises into your house is covered by flood insurance. Anthing that falls in or on your house is Home owners policy.
Yes Dan 0 , I have wrote up thousands of claims for flood insurance on hvac systems and a bunch for FEMA on refrigerators, stoves, and appliances. If flood water touches a appliance, you get rid of it. if it does not touch the appliance, you claim to disifect the appliance.
Dan-0 , when they go back in N.O. you can get with them and work with FEMA and Flood insurance to wade around in the houses and mud to look at the damage and write the houses up. If you like i can hook you up. Let Me Know.
TURTLE
Add pictures here
βœ–
Sewage coverage is different from other flooding. You can get coverage for sewage backup where the neighborhoods sewage ends up in your basement. It is usually an add-on to homeowners for about $35 where I live in NC.

Add pictures here
βœ–

This is Turtle.
It you have flood insurance , You don't need this sewer insurance for flood insurance cover anything coming back into your house.
TURTLE
Add pictures here
βœ–
TURTLE wrote:

I wouldn't count on that w/o checking. I'd not think flood insurance would cover sewage block or backup non-related to flooding.
I haven't "looked it up" and don't have but it doesn't make much sense that it would cover a non-related problem.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 20:01:12 -0500, Duane Bozarth

Flood insurance is a big deal here in Florida. It costs me about $1000 a year for $80,000 building and $15,000 contents.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Hail insurance is a big deal here...wonder why? :)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 21:47:28 -0500, Duane Bozarth

I imagine that is going to be under my windstorm insurance, another $1000, or my regular homeowners, $1000
I pay right at $3000 a year total.
Add pictures here
βœ–

This is Turtle.
Sewer system backing up is Flood insurance Deal.
Commode malfuctioning is a home owner plocy job.
Sewer line in side the home that stoppes up is homeowners insurance.
Rain into a house is Home owners Policy.
There is a thin line between them paying or not with todays policys.
TURTLE
Add pictures here
βœ–
TURTLE wrote: ....

I'm just saying I'd strongly recommend checking the terms of the individual policy in question, not relying on generalities...
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 08:07:20 -0500, Duane Bozarth

I agree. Those law-makers are known for changing things when they are bribed enough by the insurance people.
Call your local agent and ask!
Add pictures here
βœ–
Sherman wrote:

Read your policy.
Add pictures here
βœ–

This is Turtle.
The insurance agents that are sent out to look at your flood or Water Damage has these words in mine when looking. You can draw a clear line between flood and rain / wind damage with the rules here.
If it Falls in to your house it is regular Home Owners insurance.
If it backs up or rises up in your house , it is flood insurance.
There is a clear line that can be drawn between them. There was a big push by insurance companys to push the coverage over to flood insurance and the Federal Government draw the line in the sand where Flood insurance will pay. Beyond these words of rising into your house, all coverage goes to home owners insurance if they elect to put a rider on your policy to not pay for what they don't want to pay for.
TURTLE
Add pictures here
βœ–
TURTLE wrote:

What they will end up paying for is what is in the individual policy in force, period.
Add pictures here
βœ–
TURTLE wrote:

True. I argued several years back with my insurance company after my basement flooded. They clearly stated they covered water damage. he tried to explain why that meand only leaking water pipes and not backup but it was not in the document like that.
He got quite flustered and tried to tell me how it was his job to explain to me why I was not covered. Somehow the fact that it was his job was supposed to make it all true. Insurance is a damn racket.
Anyway, FEMA ended up covering us due to local conditions.
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
βœ–