Fed up about cars ending up in yard because of driving too fast

Page 2 of 3
one road I travel, its a curvy shortcut to the suburban secondary little Post Office, road is marked as scenic bicycle trail - normal unmarked residential speed limits are 30 mph here and they, the city, put up 25mph signs and within a year put up big speed bumps every so often and 15mph signs at the bumps which are ..extra humpy-bumpy... or something,, and additional 15mph signs at the curves. I assume neighborhood complaints mailed to the appropriate city street sign department or area city commissioner got attention.

Plant trees(the bigger,the better),we need the Oxygen too.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

I'm not a lawyer but I'd not be surprised if someone sued you and actually won. On an episonde of "Extreme Makeover- Home Edition" they has a house with a similar problem. They installed barriers that would pop up once a sensor was crossed. Sounds like a very expensive solution though.
Think: landscaping!
A few good sized shrubs would help as well as some rocks. Make the rocks large enough to cause some damage, about 12 to 18" high. Idealy enough that they would even get stuck so you could call the police or at least take a photo of the car and plate so the police can go after them.
You also want to check where your property line actually starts. In most cases, the town right of way extends from a few to twenty feet from the road edge. If you obstruct that portion the town could possibly come after you for something.
It would also be good if you can document the traffic and the speed. That would put the liability backk to the police and highway department to actually do something to enforce the laws.
You can always park a junk car right on the curve!
if someone does get stuck in your yard, but a lean on the car and insist it stays on your property until all damage is paided if that is possible.

that
road
Thought about moving?............For The Kids Sake?
This is not a flame type suggestion. I too live on a curve.......... On the outside, just like you describe. However I am in a fairly snug little neighborhood so Speeds are not terribly high so far. I just moved here in may and have already felt that nagging feeling about living on a curve. cars coming up my street shine their lights right into the bedroom window too..................Dark shades help with that. But the big tree that sit's near the property line is a bit of a help too.
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Of course they will try to sue you, but if the fence is on your property, and not on the road's right-of-way or easement, they will lose.
I would put up a fence, using a couple of 8" concrete posts with about three strands of 3/4" wire rope stretched loosely between them.

Buy a big old car or pickup for about $200, park it just inside your property line with a "FOR SALE $1200" sign on it. When someone crashes into it, you can collect about $1000 from their insurance company and use the proceeds to buy another one and pocket the difference.
Bob
On 29 Nov 2004 10:39:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Just dig a moat and fill it with about a foot of water. Once the car goes off the road into the moat, they will be stuck in mud for quite awile. Then you can get their license number and sue them for polluting the water in your moat with gasoline, oil, human body parts, and whatever else. Be sure to tell the judge that is your drinking water and from a lack of water you now have a serious debilitating medical condition. With any luck, you will get millions !!!
On 29 Nov 2004 10:39:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Got any friends in the military? See if they can get you some "Land Mines". Install the land mines on your own property, right at the curve. If a car lands on your property, it won't last long, and will be blown to shreads. After the police remove the bodily remains, you can collect the pieces of metal and sell them for scrap, . The cost of steel is high right now, so you should come out ahead to pay for the cost of lawn damage. The other plus of this method is that you just got another careless driver off the road, possibly saving someone else's life.

Doesn't work, all that does is lift the 1.5 tons of moving metal about 6 feet in the air, and separate the parts. They still slam into your house, and now they're on fire.
On 11/30/2004 12:14 PM US(ET), snipped-for-privacy@uri.edu took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Not only that, but the local laws would probably make you put up signs with the red skull and crossbones and the words, "Achtung!" "Minen", all over the lawn.
Yeah, and nothing left of anyone to sue you either

Around here the city will put up a guardrail, but it usually takes repeated demands before they will do it. Suggest to them that a guardrail will protect both you and the drivers who go off the road. If you can document that you notified them of a hazard, and they did nothing about it, you are in a good position to sue them when the problem recurs. Building a barrier or fence yourself, with the intent of inflicting harm, is not a good idea.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

there.
William Brown wrote:

The intent would be to protect your family from reckless drivers. Keep the barrier off of the ROW and take minimal precautions to not make it dangerous and there should be no liability issues at all.
Actually, just don't make it intentionally more dangerous than necessary should be enough to avoid liability. For example, iron spikes sticking 3 feet out of the the ground at a 20 degree angle and point at the road might not be a good idea, nor would the Claymore mines someone else mentioned.
The reason the city has to be so careful about the barriers they put up is because their barriers on in the ROW. Your barrier will not be.
Bob
No good around here, has to be multiple fatalities before any traffic safty device is implemented

On 29 Nov 2004 10:39:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

At the very least, send the responsible entity (city or state) a bill for having a professional repair the landscape each time it happens.
BB
On 29 Nov 2004 10:39:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

A fence is probably okay if you meet your local codes, but landscaping may be a better idea. A berm, topped with significant shrubbery, will stop cars and is likely legal to have closer to the road than a fence (check you local codes though).
Though I like the parking charge idea... :)
Jeff
Get some big landscape rocks and install them where the cars enter your lawn. After a few cars get torn up it will stop.

On 29 Nov 2004 10:39:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Probably. If a burglar can sue you after you shoot him for breaking in to your house, anyone can sue for anything.

You can spend a lifetime fighting the town and spending thousands on lawyers, or take the easy way out. Move.

This is Turtle.
I had a uncle that had the same problem with car coming up in his front yard and cutting up the yard and cutting deep rutts in the yard . He check out the laws on building a car stop to keep car off your property in the state of Texas and Louisiana. Both states have law on this but what make the laws and you getting sued for it is this. Put a row of rail road rail steel angled back toward the house in a row all the way across the frontage. then back 5 feet toward the house put a row of rail road rail steel straight up. Put all the rails in concrete and put a potted plant on top of everyone. they are called potted plant holders to have growing plants in. If you don't call them a car stop, you can not be sued for having them for they are yard plant holders for the look of the house. It would be the same as a bird bath in the front yard and want to sue you for running over it.
Now you will not have to worry about cars getting to your house for the first row slows the car down and the second row stops the cars. When they land there they don't drive off for you have to get a wrecker to lift the car off the rails and if you pull the car off them Half the car stays there and the other half goes with the wrecker. You just don't drive through your yard and drive off with out a wrecker to come get it. also if a wrecker operator see's the damage on the car he is suppose to call the law to write it up and have his insurance company to replace your potted plant holders and also landscape the yard where the car went. My uncle was having about 6 to 8 a year coming up in his yard by missing the turn off at the end of the road. he put the rails in and he had 3 in 2 months hit the rails and he had them there for another 15 years and only had 2 more hit them in 15 years. The drunks and speeders learn where your trap is and know to slow down for that turn or your insurance company may drop you.
Now one thing here to do and check it out to be right and that is have your rails on your land and not city or state property. City -- they own the first 10 feet from the street. State has different foot amounts from the road and find this out and have your rails on your property for sure. All the drunks, Here Hold my beer, and watch this types, and speeders started call his turn '' Steel Turn ''. The only ones he would get is the new drunks and speeders in town.
TURTLE