Fed up about cars ending up in yard because of driving too fast

Page 1 of 3
Any idea on what I can do about people driving too fast and sliding around a curve landing in my front yard? The speedlimit is 35 but they drive about 60. I got home to find huge ruts in my yard the other day.
I have talked to the county executive , judge madjestrate, highway department. I have written letters and attached photos.
I was thinking of putting a fence up using 6x6 posts in concrete but wondered if somehow someone would try to sue me if they got hurt.
I have a daughter and a son on the way and their bedroom faces the road. I am scared to death someone is going to end up in my house!
I can attach pictures if that helps. I am just so fed up right now I dont know what to do.

How about a sign. "Parking $1,000 + $200 per hour" Then just send a bill to anyone who ends up in your yard.
--
Joseph Meehan

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Yep they would. Try evergreen bushes, they would catch the vehicle w/o so much chance of injury, and give you a plausible excuse (decorative value) to defend yourself with. Otherwise, you'll have to comply with a myriad of highway safety rules, if you put up something immovable along the roadway.
Something really viney and thorny would work also.
Big rocks are a better solution. They are less dangerous for the drivers but they will leave some marks the car will be wearing for a while. They also look more natural. You can plant flowers around them, land scape lighting etc. That is what the ritzy developments do here to keep people from driving around their gates and still not have an ugly fence.

Yup! Rocks, not big enough to kill anyone, just big enough to screw up their car when they drive over them. Basket ball size. Add some landscaping, a few small bushes and some flowers. After they get towed off your rocks you can get their insurance information for the damage caused to your landscape. Those proffesional landscape companies really charge some big bucks! You may even make a few dollars in the end! Greg
They use big rocks here. Things that weigh a significant part of the weight of a car but being low they duplicate the things used in NHTSC tests with less than half the kinetics, so the car does OK. A post can slice through a car.

On 29 Nov 2004 18:57:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

Hmmm. Rocks that are maybe just a foot high or so? Just enough to disable the vehicle when it plows over them, but not stop the vehicle like a brick wall. This way, the homeowner will get to confront the driver and get the police involved. The driver's insurance foots the bill on the yard damage.
I'd still rater just move if this happens all the time. Too much frustration dealing with having a new lawn put in all the time - even if it is free.
Any idea on what I can do about people driving too fast and sliding around a curve landing in my front yard? The speedlimit is 35 but they drive about 60. I got home to find huge ruts in my yard the other day.
I have talked to the county executive , judge madjestrate, highway department. I have written letters and attached photos.
I was thinking of putting a fence up using 6x6 posts in concrete but wondered if somehow someone would try to sue me if they got hurt.
I have a daughter and a son on the way and their bedroom faces the road. I am scared to death someone is going to end up in my house!
I can attach pictures if that helps. I am just so fed up right now I dont know what to do.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in message

If you do put up something, make sure it complies with local regulations so you can't be sued for damages. For example a fence on the right of way would probably be a very bad choice.
Harry K
@hotmail.com says...

It's somewhat of a myth that _anything_ can prevent you from being 'sued'. If somebody wants to sue you, they can and will, for pretty much any reason.
Mitigating measures can be taken to lessen the chances of _losing_ a lawsuit, but that's an entirely different thing, and often only happens after you pay your lawyer a bundle in any event.
A fence will get damaged. You could use large landscaping rocks along the curb. Sure, anybody can sue for any reason, but I seriously doubt that you are creating a hazardous situation. To be sure, contact your insurance company to clarify what you can and can't do.
On 29 Nov 2004 11:01:31 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

<snip>
Sorry but it does create a hazardous situation. A person in town has the same situation. Down hill turn and people end up in his yard, one almost hit his house. Many complaints and the city looked at it. They would allow him to errect jersey barriers on his own lot but not on the ROW. That was run thru the legal department who ruled that both the city and the citizen could and would be sued if it were on the ROW. I was also required to remove a tree that was on the ROW of a state highway in the county. Why me? Don't know, I didn't plant it there and it was probably 40 or more years old.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

There are worse things than being sued -- that's why you have liability insurance. Just make sure that your barrier is on your property and not on the ROW. If some idiot does sue you, your insurance company will eat them for lunch.
Bob
around here the landowner does not own or pay taxes on any ROW which is owned and maintained by the local goverement body that has the ROW. IF a tree has to come down then it is their problem. I cut the grass on my part of the ROW but others on the street lets theirs goes until the county comes by and cuts the ROW. Not sure how that works elsewhere ?

On 12/1/2004 1:03 AM US(ET), MC took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

roadway, and the local authorities will let you do certain things between the stakes and the roadway, like extending your driveway or sidewalk to the road, or putting up a mailbox next to the road, or planting grass or flowers. They retain the right to do anything they want within that 10' area without the homeowners permission, like removing trees, bushes, obstructions, etc., regrading, digging trenches, installing pipes, gang mowing, and even plow snow back across the front of your freshly cleaned driveway. :-)

Follow up to my post about the guy in town with the problem. Remember down hill turn people winding up in the guys yard. Well the town dads in all their wisdom put a STOP sign on the downhill corner. Good solution? Well it was pointed out to them that the reason people were going into the yard was the road got slick and people weren't able to slow down (it is about a 10% grade). No, no, it'll fix it...yeah right. Yesterday we had the first snowfall, slick roads, guy took out the fence that was just erected last summer and several rear enders from cars that couldn't stop before plowing into cars that did stop at the sign. Never underestimate the stupidity of the rulers. Before the snow I had pointed out to one of the town dads that it was a mistake. At that time he was all for it. Today I talked to him and he's blaming it on the city engineer.
Harry K

would a blinking solar powered yellow light be legal to install in your yard, with a reflector so it only shines towards the road and not towards the house?
also, is there a gravel build up on the curve in the road contributing to the problem that could be addressed?
could you legally install an internet cam so it can be seen real time?

Excuse me for butting in...my mother has a similar problem. People coming around the corner shortcut it and run up into and through her yard [lazy ignorant imbeciles]. They've done it for years -- even school buses! A cheap fix, though not 100% cure, was to sink many pieces of rebar into the ground in the area vehicles drive over. This is usually good for a nice-sized hole in a tired or two -- maybe even some tire rim damage. Believe me, word gets around the neighborhood fairly quickly to refrain from future attempts. Of course, lawnmowing habits have to be adjusted in the area to avoid ruining mower blades.

why dont you document some of the speeding/damage with a video camera and threaten to sue the city..
randy