Faucet Terminology ?

Hello,
Was wondering right the right name for this type of faucet might be.
I don't think its termed a Cartridge or a Compression type, but not sure.
I have a bathroom faucet assembly A separate hot and cold valve handle, with the water exiting from the middle spout. Sort of the standard bathroom faucet arrangement.
Inside the valve assembly there is a small rubber "hat" with a small, tapered, spring inside. that presses this "hat" against the underside of the part that is actually turned.
It certainly isn't a Compression type of valve faucet.
Are these called Cartridge types, or is there another name for them ?
Thanks, Bob

It sounds like a Delta, Peerless or clone type of faucet. The part with the stem that moves is called a cartridge. The rubber hat is called a seat. The spring is a spring or seat spring.
For normal drips all you need to replace is the seat and spring. Bad drips sometimes need a new cartridge.
Here is a link to the Delta site with illustrations.
http://www.deltafaucet.com/wps/portal/deltacom/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLd4439goDSZnFW8aHOepHogtZIoR8PfJzU_WDgFKR5kAhCy8n_aic1PTE5Er9YH1v_QD9gtzQiHJvR0cAFbYCag !!/delta/base64xml/L0lJSk03dWlDU1lBIS9JTGpBQU15QUJFUkVSRUlrLzRGR2dkWW5LSjBGUm9YZnJDRUEhLzdfQ184SkIvOA!!?WCM_PORTLET=PC_7_C_8JB_WCM&WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=http://wcmprd1.deltafaucet.com:9081/wps/wcm/connect/www.deltafaucet.com/Customer+Support/Frequently+Asked+Questions/Leaks/What+do+I+do+about+water+dripping+from+the+spout+of+my+two-handle+kitchen+or+lavatory+faucet
Colbyt