faucet replacement sets

So now that I've duked it out with my shower diverter and replaced it, I replaced it with a "Danco" diverter. The store where I got it, and I trust them for the most part, implied that getting the manufacturer's replacement is not a problem, but not necessary for something as common as a Price Pfister 3221 shower diverter.

I installed it, very simple, replaced the seat, very simple but time consuming with all those stupid faucet handles in my way, but when I use the shower the tub spout doesn't quite seal.

The tub seals nicely, that is when using the tub spout no water spills out of the shower head like it used to. Unfortunately when using the shower, water still comes out of the spout - and when switching back to the tub the pipes make a loud gurgling noise.

In the off-chance it was the shower head that was clogged I took the head off and ran the shower, the problem still existed, although I did pull a heck of a lot of rust out of the shower head.

So my question is, is the tub spout supposed to leak while the shower is going? I thought I saw a mention of vacuum lock here. If it is supposed to leak, how much. In my case you could fill a large glass with water fairly quickly. The new diverter does seem to leak a bit around the stem o-ring, but doesn't leak at all so far where the diverter screws into the shower fixture.

So I guess my question is, a) does the replacement set matter b) Is leakage from the tub spout normal

Reply to
Eigenvector

A little leakage from the spout is acceptable; your sounds excessive.

Did you use sealant on the threads of the seat?

If everything you did is OK, the store may have to go back to Danco for advice.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

When you say "seat" are you referring to the body of the diverter, or the small brass piece that you have to use a square headed screwdriver to remove?

I did not use dope on the seat, there was none on the original seat, and person at the store recommended against it as it would make removing the seat that much harder next time - assuming there is a next time. Did I do bad here? Assuming I did, hopefully I didn't crush the gasket for the diverter body and have to replace that too.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Seat- small brass piece. Use pipe dope on the threads or water under pressure can leak past. No guarantee that's the source of your problem ...

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Looks like I found an answer to my question on the "love" forum

Eigenvector

WhooooHoooo! Good sleuthing for needle in haystack. I bet that's it. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I'm gonna go ahead and check a couple of other stores for the PP diverter, I trust the manufacturer parts and since this is something that isn't horribly critical at this point I can wait if I do have to order it.

Reply to
Eigenvector

On the subject of the still leaking diverter even after replacing it - as soon as I jacked up the water pressure to normal shower levels the leak in the tub spout went away. I guess sufficient pressure must be present before the diverter seals itself. So for now I'm gonna check the diverter body in the wall to make sure it's not leaking where it screws into the faucet and call it good. If I ever do run across a Price-Pfister diverter I'll change it out then.

Reply to
Eigenvector