Faucet leak

My kitchen faucet was leaking so I got a new washer and that stopped the leak but I must be doing something wrong. The faucet handle doesn't have a stop , you can keep turning it around . I have tried tightening the nut but that doesn't seem to help. Sorry if this isn't clear, I've never doen this before. I was so proud of myself for stopping the leak!
Most all of the handles have a splined end and the handle goes over the splines. Then the screw is tightened. The faucet stem should only turn about 2 turns at most. Take apart and screw stem out then put back on faucet and tighten the nut then if the handle is on properly you should be able to turn it off. Terry
sue wrote:

Thanks! It works..again..