faucet handles--reversible?

We've just had a new vanity and sink with faucet and separate hot and cold water handles installed. The hot and cold handles turn in the opposite direction of the handles in our other bathrooms, i.e., counter-clockwise where the old ones were clockwise, and vice-versa.
Are these handles made like that, or can they be reversed, depending on how they're installed? Is there a standard in the U.S., or is it an either-way choice?
Jim Beaver
Jim,
It depends on the type of faucet. The valve under the handle in most products can be rotated 180 degrees and reinstalled. This is the valve in the valve body. Others have to be switched from side to side.
Good luck
Randy