Faucet handle too tight

I have this type of faucet:

One of the handles is tight. When I turn it, the whole stem turns unless I hold the stem with a hand. I pried open the small top cap. Loosened the nut inside with a flat-blade screwdriver. But I can't pull out or pull up anything. What else should I do? Thanks.

Reply to
yong321

The stem is supposed to turn, do you mean the bezel that surrounds the stem?

Reply to
hrhofmann

faucet:

Maybe the whole sink turns when he turns the faucet handle :)

Reply to
tangerine3

Bob,

Thanks for the correction. I was referring to the whole metal piece: the handle, stem and bezel (the bulb-shaped part in the picture), unless I hold the bezel with a hand.

There's some greenish rust inside the stem. Maybe I can try white vinegar?

Reply to
yong321

Yong,

It sounds as if the faucet is not screwed tightly to the sink. The installation videos may help you. They are on this page.

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

Yong,

Try to lever the handle base off. Protect the sink with a cloth or some paper towels. Place the tips of 2 teaspoons under the handle base. The teaspoons should be about 180 deg. from each other. Press down on the teaspoon handles. The teaspoons are both lever and fulcrum. Don't use your wifes good set of tableware. When you get this thing apart use some plumber's grease on the threads of the stem. Plumber's grease is non-toxic.

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

Thanks Dave. I can't see how the tablespoons help. I used my full force to drag the handle base up. It didn't budge.

Fortunately, white vinegar seems to help a lot and the handle is not nearly as tight as before. I can at least let it stay like this for quite some time. Thanks all.

Reply to
yong321