Fastening to Plaster Wall

My daughter & son-in-law recently purchased an old house which has plaster/lathe walls. The plaster seems to be about 3/4" thick. They want to put up drapery rods which will have to support drapes weighing 2 - 3 lbs. I have always owned a home with drywall and I'm not familiar with plaster walls. What type of fastener is recommended assuming we find there is no wood beam where they want to locate the rods? Thanks, Mike
--
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMexcite.com
Remove NOSPAM to email please.

Thanks Dave. That looks like an excellent web site!
--
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMexcite.com
Remove NOSPAM to email please.

plaster and then insert a screw in the middle. However, I found with plaster walls rather than drywall, it is necessary to drill a hole the size of the shaft first so that only the devices threads are forcing their way into the plaster. If you don't predrill, the plaster will just powder and fall out of the hole. With drywall, no predrilling is necessary. Tom.

Mike:
M > My daughter & son-in-law recently purchased an old house which has M > plaster/lathe walls. The plaster seems to be about 3/4" thick. They want to M > put up drapery rods which will have to support drapes weighing 2 - 3 lbs. I M > have always owned a home with drywall and I'm not familiar with plaster M > walls. What type of fastener is recommended assuming we find there is no M > wood beam where they want to locate the rods?
I'd also suggest using Molly Bolts -- there are different lengths, collar lengths, bolt diameters (#6, #8), etc., so don't just grab the first one you see.
Also, may be worth the additional expense to get a "Molly Bolt Tool". Not sure what it's really called but has squeeze handles and on the working end has notches for the molly. Unscrew the molly's bolt enough to fit in the tool, squeeze, and the molly's flanges will spread out. (The molly is inserted into the wall and then the tool is used.) I managed to screw up enough times -- the flanges would twist -- so the cost of the tool was worthwhile.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Jewish C/W Song: "You're the Lox My Bagel's Been Missin'"
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971