Fastening things to metal or fiberglass doors

I have 2 new exterior doors, one is metal and the other is fiberglass. I need to attach some things to them. I need to put curtains on one and a door stop on the other. Are there any special problems with doing that? My first thought of course just to drill pilot holes and put in screws. Would that work ok?
Bill
Sounds reasonable, to me.
I have 2 new exterior doors, one is metal and the other is fiberglass. I need to attach some things to them. I need to put curtains on one and a door stop on the other. Are there any special problems with doing that? My first thought of course just to drill pilot holes and put in screws. Would that work ok?
Bill

Depends on which is which... If the door stop is going on the fiberglass door, you'd better make sure there's some reinforcement (such as a wooden core) where you attach the stop, otherwise, I think every time the door stop hits the wall, it's going to crack the fiberglass a little bit until eventually a big chunk of it breaks out.
And if the curtains are going on the steel door, consider laying the curtain rod across hooks with magnetic bases. Assuming you mean light-weight sheers, that is, not heavy drapes.
Bill Gill wrote:

Maybe. Rivets would probably be better. Rivets with threaded interior would make what you are putting on easily removeable.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 4/12/2012 8:12 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

Are you talking about a commercial 18 gauge metal door or one of the residential "shells"? 18 gauge will hold self drilling screws just fine. I think I would consider RivNuts, NutSerts or equal for a typical light weight configuration. Pop Rivets will be Ok, but marginal. Screws out mid span without something inside will be iffy at best.
Commercial work would use Sex bolts like this: http://www.boltdepot.com/Sex_bolts_and_Mating_screws.aspx
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
On 4/12/2012 6:14 PM, DanG wrote:

on the door and the shell is .0219" iron. About 25 gauge. That is pretty thin, and there will be little structural strength. The core is foam. It makes a nicely insulated door, but I'm kind of worried about trying to screw anything to it. And there don't seem to be any internal structural parts, so there isn't any place that would provide the support needed.
The other door is fiberglass, and I assume that the fiberglass isn't much thinker than the metal. So I am even wondering about how to mount the curtains. In that case there may be something around the window, but I'm not sure. I may try with a stud sensor and see if I can come up with anything. It might catch a change in density.
Bill
<snip>

For the metal door, you might try some rare earth magnets. I am using some to hold a handle on a heavy steel door and they are doing a pretty good job if you don't try and open the door too quick.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
On 4/12/2012 8:12 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

Ok, after the answers I got here and doing some research I have decided that I shouldn't try very hard to attach anything to my new doors using screws. I found that the fiberglass door has a frame around the outside and nothing much else to provide a structure to fasten into. The window in that door is fairly wide, so I will use a longer curtain rod and fasten the supports to the frame near the edges. That isn't exactly the way I would like to do it, but it will work.
And for the metal door in the kitchen. I will have to find a magnet to use as a hanger for the framed poster that I want to hang on it. Does anybody know where I can get a longish (probably 6 inches to a foot) flat magnet to put on the back of the poster frame? And for a door stop I can just hang a soft rope on the wall and when I want to stop the door from blowing shut I can pull it around the edge of the door and hook it over the handle. But I don't want to try screwing anything into the field of either door.
Bill

use multiple round magnets. This is what I used to attach a handle to a heavy steel door. This company make a lot of different sizes.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

re Door Stop
Probably the 10th time I've posted this info from long ago, and no responses, so I guess they aren't made any more.
When I was a kid (1950's), we had a screen door that pulled shut via a long spring. BANG!
To keep the bang from happening, we had a rubber ball, maybe 3/4ths inch diameter, hanging 1.5 inches or so down, at the slamming edge of the door.
Open the door, walk through, and let loose, and the centrifigal (sp?) force flung (word?) the ball outward enough to be between the door and the frame, and so the door bounced, the ball returned to hanging straight down, and this time the door closed.
Hain't seen one since forever.
Anyone know if they still make them?
David
snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

I was curious enough to google it- $18 http://www.rusticworkbench.com/prod/doorball.htm
With pictures that are worth 10,000 words at least. I wasn't understanding you, but now I see how simple it is.
We let 'em slam. Kept the comings and goings easier to track.
Now we have hydraulics on them.
Jim

Well, you're way smarter than I am.
"doorball" or "door ball", to google for.
Don't know why, but I would have never thought of that.
THANKS!
David
replying to David Combs , Jean Walsh wrote:

There are curtain rods you can put on metal doors that will hold curtains if that is what you are looking for They have magnets in the ends so no screws are required, they just attach themselves to the door where you put them. I bought some at JCPenney and there may be other stores that carry them. I don't know how to fasten curtains to Fiberglass doors, but I would like to know.
Jean