fastening methods to attach things to hardi-plank

Are there any acceptable methods for attachment to hardi-plank?

Let me be specific with some of the things I need to put back, after having my house re-sided.

  1. small clamps to hold TV cable in place.
  2. Metal clamps to hold 1" power conduit in place.
  3. re-attach wrought iron gate that was formerly screwed directly into wood siding.

I would guess there is a point where I have to drill through the hardi and attach to underlying house frame studs. Any opinions, help, experience would be appreciated. I did search on this group and did not find anything. I also could not find specific information on the James Hardie website.

Bob Davis Houston, Texas

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

your better off to predrill any screw holes and then screw into the wall studs, avoiding putting fasteners in extreme corners of the hardie plank (they can break off easily)

it may be hit or miss locating the wall studs inside the hardie plank wall (electronic stud finders don't seem to work through the stuff)

the weight of a wrought iron gate will definitely damage and/or break the brittle hardie plank if the gate is not anchored in something more stable like a wall stud perhaps; you really need some visual inspection by someone knowledgable who can suggest how to hang the gate

you can search archived information form this discussion group (and other newsgroups) at:

in a few keywords in the "with all the words" slot

you could also put alt.home.repair in the "Retun only message from the newsgroup" slot, but that would limit your hits (there are plenty of other newsgroups hardie panel have been discussed in)

you might also be able to attach the tv clamps with an (noninvasive) adhesive

Reply to
effi

Thanks for the response. I am beginning to understand that I should view the hardi-plank as strictly a covering with no structural capability. I'll go do the searching you suggested.

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

replying to effi, Etpbob3 wrote: Use liquid nails adhesive.

Reply to
Etpbob3