Fastening Bollards to Concrete

We have a commercial venue that has removable bollards linked by chain.

They are currently fastened to the pavement using Loxins and bolts.

After some time (and probably overtightening by staff) the bricks (about

200x100x40) have cracked which releases the Loxins. Replacing the bricks is difficult, time consuming and don't fit as tightly as before.

We have considered removing the bricks in the area below the bollard bases and pouring a much thicker concrete "block" to fasten to.

Again the bollards need to be removable - are Loxins the best choice?

Installing a "pop-up" bollard is not an option due to all the utilities burried beneath the pavement.

Cheers, Antony

*** You will need to fix the 'k' typo in my address if replying via e-mail ***
Reply to
Antony N. Lord

I'm not familiar with "Loxins" but a quick search of the web.............

Loxins & Dynabolts are often mentioned together. I can only assume the Loxin is a sleeve style anchor that yields in internal thread so the mating bolt can be repeatedly installed & removed.

The problem with sleeve style mechanical anchors is that they apply a certain amount of splitting for the to material into which thye are installed. Dynabolts should not be placed with 75mm of the edge of concrete. Brick is usually much weaker.

I would use a chemical anchoring material & install coupling nuts to create the internal subflush thread. Chemical anchors do not apply splitting force. You might get the bricks alone to work. What's below the brick?

I guess you could pour the thicker concrete base, epoxy the nuts into the concrete, cover the concrete w/ bricks (for appearance). drill clearance holes through the brick & attach bollards as before.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207