Fastening a subfloor

When fastening a tong and groove plywood subfloor with screws and glue, I was wondering the spacing for screws, the recommended screw size and whether nails in addition would be helpful. It is a 10 x20 sunroom addition and we had to pull the subfloor to strengthen a few joists that felt loose and I want to make sure the contractor has the new subfloor fastened down adequately.

Also he had to remove the tong and and groove where it is next to the original floor. Should anything special be done over the small gap? A floating laminate floor will go on top.

Thanks.

Reply to
Art Begun

Every 6" around the perimeter, every foot in the interior of each panel. If you want to use nails, they should be ring-shanked to avoid squeeks later. NWFA should have some guidelines.

There should be support under the edge not t&g'd to prevent deflection. Otherwise, nothing is necessary at the gap.

M Hamlin

Reply to
MSH

They did put blocking between the joists at the unsupported ends to provide support.

right--they

screw

Reply to
Art Begun