Fastening a Balister/Spindle To The Floor ?

Hello:

Newbie at this.

Getting ahead of myself on planning for this this project, but would like to ask:

When installing new balisters (or are they really called spindles ?) for a railing system, can the balister be screwed into the floor thru an existing rug, or must a cirular "plug" be removed first so the balister sits (firmly) on the wood ?

Is there a name for the double pointed screws that are used ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

On wood best is not painted wood, use wood glue and drilled and bolted from underneath or screw at an angle into step and countersunk.

Reply to
m Ransley

Hi Bob, The Balister is the main end post and the spindles are the ones that go in between. I had some decorative Ballisters in our living room that I wanted to permanently remove and install Carpet. I found that the 4x4 inch oak Balister was cut in through the floor and screwed to the floor joists beneath the floor. I had to wrestle them out of the floor by working back and forth (since the basement ceiling was finished and couldn't get at it from the bottom)............. I then pluged the holes with plywood. Hope maybe this experience will help you out... Jim

Reply to
Jim M