Fascia board material

Hi everyone, Working on building a shed. i'm at the roofing stage, i've got 2x4 rafters to which I will be attaching a fascia - what kind of wood should I use for this? Pressure treated plywood? I would like it to be paintable.

it should be about 4-4.5 inches wide, and 3/8-3/4in thick.

the other option is that white PVC board they sell at lowes for this exact thing... only thing is it's kind of expensive.

what should I be using?

Reply to
RedDwarf

The Borgs carry 1x6 pine that is made from finger joined scraps and then primed gray. Not that expensive.

Reply to
salty

If you were building a house, and the roof is constructed with trusses (2 x 4) it is accepted practice to use 2 x 6 boards to get good support for gutters and venting soffits. If this is not a priority for your shed, use regular 1 x 6 boards. Time can be saved by priming and painting before installing. If you have a table saw you can rip the fascia board to the width of the rafter tail if you wish. Common length of rafter tails will be 12" or more depending on where you want your rainwater impact to be. Check out some books on framing at your library for more tips.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Thanks for the response guys, 1x6 should be good I suppose. I just wasn't sure about using pressure treated or not. I am going to paint them, so I don't know if they have to be treated.

Reply to
RedDwarf

At this stage of life, I'd use the fake wood. Some things I don't wanna do twice. Fascia board, especially if you hang a gutter from it, is almost always the first board to rot out. (Idiot previous owner of this place aluminum-skinned the fascia, with no weep holes, and it is rotted out in several spots. Gotta replace that one of these days...)

If you can't bear to spring for plastic, look for cedar or something. Pressure-treated 5/4 deck boards would also work. Forget about plywood- it won't last more than a couple years. Back in the stone age, we used clear redwood. Worked great and held up well, but would cost a fortune now, if you could even find it. (I could cry when I think about all the

2 and 3 foot 'scraps' I threw on the burn pile as a wee lad.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Just finished doing just that. Pine fascia lasted about 8 years before it rotted to the point of replacement. Then it was removing & reinstalling all the gutters to do the work. Not fun. I replaced the pine with the PVC fake wood so hopefully I won't have to go thru that again. BTW, the PVC was easy to router a 3/8" groove for the soffit and easy to install. Our local HD prices for the PVC were cheaper than Lowes, and even cheaper now that they are having a clearance sale on it.

Red

Reply to
Red

Great, thanks to everyone for the input. I may just have to splurge on the fake stuff... at least I don't have to paint it!

Reply to
RedDwarf