Faraday cages

Page 1 of 2
I want to turn my trailer into a large Faraday cage. The outside walls & roof are tin. How much foil do I need inside on the floors/walls & ceilings in order to get a true Faraday cage?
On 8/30/2013 11:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Just make sure everything is electrically connected to everything else and you're golden. If the floor is non-metallic you might need to do something there...
nate
On 8/30/2013 8:18 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

inside to outside? Any wiring for lights, etc. Will have to be filtered or else you have defeated the cage. Any windows? Any air vents?
Are you trying to avoid static electricity or are you trying to contain rf energy?
A Faraday cage is not a trivial project.
Paul
Paul Drahn wrote :

Screened Rooms are a whole industry. There are filters for air, water, electricity and whatever you can AFFORD. :-?
--
John G

On 8/30/2013 11:56 PM, John G wrote:

I've worked in/on places like that, they use fiber for all the comms that pass through the metal shield. Not sure how they handle the one big honkin AC power line that by necessity goes through the shield. The nice lady in the camo uniform wouldn't let me wander off and look at stuff, although other than that she was friendly and pleasant.
nate
On 8/31/2013 7:05 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

I saw an interesting shielded room that was empty of obsolete systems and all the lines coming through through the walls were shielded in some way but I didn't get too close look at it because I was busy. It was back in 1988 when I was working for a contractor building the mission control center for the SDI (Star Wars) program at The Kwajalein Missile Range now known as Ronald Reagan Ballistic Missile Defense Test Site. I loved it out there in The Pacific and would have stayed as long as I could but left because of nasty smokers who were running things. I doubt that's happening these days because inhaling the byproducts of combustion to get a drug albeit legal and exposing others to the poison some must have a regular intervals has become socially unacceptable. I couldn't think of going back because age and disability have caught up with me but damn, I miss the place and the island lifestyle. ^_^
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwajalein_Atoll
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Reagan_Ballistic_Missile_Defense_Test_Site
https://tinyurl.com/mx93bxj
TDD

four ways: 1. for 'normal' screen rooms, use tubularly shaped [usually] RFI/EMI AC line filters 2. for decent separation, use isolation-type transformer with primary on one side of boundary and secondary on second side of boundary and filter both boundary and lines to your heart's content. 3. for really extreme, use relatively small diameter, non-conductive shaft to transfer energy via motor driving a generator. the rod goes through a tube that is more than twice as long as diameter and get decent shielding. 4. for almost complete, fueled generator, with 'air' flow over broad areas through those hexagonal [beehive-looking] screen filters
Why use aluminum foil that's going to be opaque.
You can use a transparent material, like aluminum window screen mesh, as long as the spaces in the mesh are small compared to the wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation you're wanting to block. That way, you can still enjoy natural light inside your trailer and look out the window to see if it's raining while still being able to block all Sunday morning Evangelical Christian radio and TV shows.
I have a Julio filter on my sound system's tuner. Whenever anything by Julio Iglesius comes on, it automatically changes the station.
--
nestork

On 8/30/2013 10:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Heck, use electrically conductive paint then aluminum duct tape over all the cracks then grounded to everything else. Of course aluminum screen for the windows also wired to the other shielding material. ^_^
TDD
On Saturday, August 31, 2013 12:33:18 AM UTC-4, The Daring Dufas wrote:

I think using a colander on his head, or a tin foil hat would be easier. He's likely trying to keep the guvmint from reprogramming him.
Can you still get metal collanders?
On 8/31/2013 9:36 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 09:59:53 -0400, Stormin Mormon

How much do you want to spend?
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/search/results.html?activeTab=products&words=collander&cm_sp=OnsiteSearch-_-GlobalNav-_-Button&type-ahead-viewset om
On 8/31/2013 8:36 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I remember a website that was about some real experiments done by MIT students researching aluminum foil headgear to protect the brains of the paranoid. Funny thing happened, they discovered the foil hats actually enhanced certain frequencies used by government satellites. ^_^
TDD

All you needi s one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinfoil_hat It will prevent any ungodly thoughts from enetering your brain.
On 08-31-2013 01:12, harryagain wrote:

Actually, the demons know how to aim them up under the edge of the thing.
--
Wes Groleau

“Grant me the serenity to accept those I cannot change;
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 23:07:30 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

About 2sq.ft. Fold like a paper sail boat, and place over your head; shiny side out.
One layer of metal, any metal, is enough BUT it has to be connected continuously around all edges. No non-conductive gaps are allowed.
---

RFI, yes. EMI, no.
probably up passed 100kHz magnetic fields will 'punch' right through that aluminum sheeting like it's barely there.

Just from practical experience I can say a garden variety aluminum frame screen cage with aluminum screen rolled in it is a pretty effective Faraday Cage. Radios and TVs will not work at all unless you have an external antenna or cable.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Also there is conductive paint.