Fan mounting question

I have a 12' ceiling insulated garage, that I will be heating with a propane heater. Mounting a regular ceiling fan would be a pain, but I would like to "push" the warm air down. I was thinking of mounting a standard $15 box fan horizontially, and just plugging into the outlets for the lights. Would there be a problem mounting this type of fan in this position, such as bearings or anything? It seems too easy and/or cheap, so I figure there must be a reason not to that I'm not seeing..lol. Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks, Earl

You could just build a shelf up high and sit it on that and accomplish the same thing and not have to worry about hurting the fan. Just let it have enough "breathing" room behind it.
--
JC from Gnat Flats

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:23:05 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (big e lewis) wrote:

....Oscillating Wall Mounted Fan
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (big e lewis) wrote on 17 Dec 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

Who cares -- it's a $15 fan. If it lasts a year, you got your money out of it. Better, buy the fan at a garage sale for $2.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 22:48:06 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (big e lewis) wrote:

These things use the cheapest bronze sleeve bearing you can buy. I doubt mounting position has much to do with longevity tho. When they do go bad there is a one time thermal fuse in there that should blow before it catches on fire but I have seen enough bad ones to say you will smell it long before that fuse blows. You will get a few years out of it before it goes and if you are willing to lub the bearings they last virtually forever.
there is no fire hazard. you can stall those fans and they won't generate enough heat to melt snow.

On Dec 17, 1:23 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (big e lewis) wrote:

I heat with wood and have both a ceiling fan blowing down and a box fan hanging (verticle) from the hallway ceiling. Noting the operating characteristics of each...
No, I wouldn't do it. The box fan will blow down far, far more than will be comfortable. Even on slow speed it will put out a gale on the floor. I don't see why a standard ceiling fan would be a pain to do if there is already an overhead light up there.
Harry K
nope , no reason. go for it. I hang them like that in our chicken coop. I also buy them at consignment auctions for 1- 2 dollars each.

big e lewis wrote:

Hi, Is that 15.00 fan big enough to do the job? Air has to move for thw whole garage not one spot.
On Dec 17, 3:23 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (big e lewis) wrote:

Box fan is a bad idea. There are low cost commercial ceiling fans that will outlast a dozen box fans. Mounting a ceiling fan of this type is a simple operation, far less work than mucking about with a box fan and far more efficient. The last time I bought one it was $30 or so, probably $40 now. They usually are three bladed with a 52" swing and come with a nice switch/speed controller.
Joe
big e lewis wrote:

Put an ordinary fan on the floor and push the cold air up.