Fan Mount for Mechanically Challenged

Unfortunately, I am very much a mechanically challenged person. I'm trying to determine if my ceiling boxes are as solid as one should expect and use with ceiling fans. Long description below to provide details.

My house was built in 1959 in WI, I am not the original owner, and really don't know the origin of the ceiling fixtures. There were ceiling fans in each of 3 bedrooms already. They are newer fans. They all have some wobble - one terrible wobble. They all appear to be cheaper fans with a couple geared towards kids - ie, the crayon multicolor fans. The crayon fans are ones I want to replace as they aren't my style.

I wanted to investigate wobble so I deconstructed one fan but left it mounted. I can just see the rim of the ceiling box. If I rock the fan back and forth it moves considerably, but it appears its own mounting bracket is loose and the ceiling fixture moves only very slightly. I would say that roughly 99% of the movement is the fan itself and 1% is the ceiling box. Before taking this one down further, I wanted to compare it to the other crayon fixture. I removed the 2nd fan to the same point and it too, rocked about the same with mostly the fixture moving and the box seemed solid. I took this one down all the way. The ceiling box is round and metal. There appears to be a round ring mounted to the face of the box and this is what the fan was secured to. This round ring is screwed to the face of the ceiling box from down up - meaning that its screw heads are under the drywall ceiling and not accessible from below. I suppose this means either the box was in before the drywall, the drywall was redone, or the round ring was on the box then mounted - the point is that one could not attach this ring once the box is mount because you can't get to the screw heads. I see one screw in the center of the box which appears to be securing a metal clip. I can see either a metal brace or metal conduit through the holes in the box above it. The ceiling box is made of metal and has three conduit runs coming into it with electrical. Pulling on the box from below really doesn't give much movement. Pushing up on the ring doesn't give much movement. Pushing up on the inside of the box gives a little movement - maybe a couple 32nds of an inch.

It seems from looking at fan mounts and braces in stores that they would not be completely solid either and one would expect to have a couple 32nds of an inch of play in them. If its mounted to a metal brace and you push or pull on the inside edge, there will be some movement in general it seems to me. In general my existing ceiling boxes seem solid, no movement pulling down or pushing up the center. Slight movement if I push up on the inside edge. The boxes are metal and hefty so I'm just trying to ID if this slight movement would have a large impact on wobble. And since I am mechanically challenged, I was hoping someone might have input on how solid a ceiling fixture or fan mount should or would be. Does what I describe sound like a solid mounting that one would generally expect?

Thanks for any input

Reply to
Steve

1959. Not likely they are fan rated boxes. You may be able to get away with it.

The box should have ZERO movement if you are serious about safety.

Another option is to buy one of the fans that has a mounting plate that secures to the ceiling. I have installed these with 2-3 toggle bolts through the drywall and had no problems over the years.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Thanks for the reply. Since I am mechanically challenged, I tend to go overboard about things like this and want to make sure my expectations are realistic.

My issue is that I tend to be obsessed. So, when I have these replaced if the new arrangments have even a slight give/flex it will drive me up the wall and I want my expectations to be realistic. My frame of reference is a friends home where a professional installed thas metal beam fixures - I can press on the inside edges of those boxes and get more movement than my existing (1/16th of inch of flex). So fan rated/not fan rated isn't a concern at this point yet, I am stuck on what level of solidness to expect from a new, professionally installed box.

If I had the boxes replaced with the ones with the metal beam that stab into studs, I should expect not even the slightest movement pushing the box with my own strength? Zero movement to me means that I can push and pull on the box with all my strength and it won't give or flex the slightest bit?

Same goes if the box is mounted to a 2x4 between beams - if I push or pull on the box. I should expect absolutely no movement - whether its the 2x4 bending slightily or anything?

Do I have a realistic frame of reference?

Reply to
Steve