Fan Installation

I am installating a fan in the bedroom. Room is wired for a fan. I opened cover in ceiling to expose the wiring. There are 3 wires to choose from. White, Black and Red. The black and red have caps on the ends. The white wire is just rolled up with no cap. The instructions say to connect the remote control to the Red and White wires. What is the Black wire and why is it capped? I used the White and Red and the fan seems to be wired correctly and the light kit works. The remote also works. Do I need the Black wire or do I just recap it and put it back in the outlet box? TIA Chuck B.
It's likely the electrician that wired for the fan, ran three wires from the fan box to the switch box, where you might install a fan speed control and a dimmer. Since you are using a remote device, you only need one feed to the fan. The red and white is fine or you could have used the black and white as well.

says...

Hope this helps, Chuck:
http://homerepair.about.com/od/ceilingfans/ss/install_ceil_fn_8.htm
Cin
--
Newsguy All-in-One Accounts: Unlimited, HiSpeed Internet Access, 2 SpamHippo
protected mailboxes, 50Mb website and 3Mb/month Newsguy Usenet downloads. Only

I think you misunderstood. He just had wires in the fan box for a future fan and the electrician put caps on the two "hot" wires for safety. As far as your ground wires without caps, if you look carefully you'll probably see copper crimps on the wires, which,for ground wires serve the same purpose as a wirenut

RBM wrote:

and red wires and wirenutted the black. What had me fooled was the light. It was just barely glowing so I figured I had it wired wrong. Then I noticed the remote has a dimmer built in for the light. Used that and the light came on strong. Thanks again!!! Chuck B.