Fan duration to determine when to change filter

Page 2 of 3
On Tuesday, November 17, 2015 at 8:24:20 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:

Wait...I'm confused. You were the one that said "I'm one who thinks run time is a useful measurement. It gives you the best indication whether your equipment is sized properly..."
Yet it appears that you don't know what "run time" is actually measured, so you don't really know that "It gives you the best indication whether your equipment is sized properly".
Do I have that right?
On 11/17/2015 8:24 AM, TimR wrote:

Mine just tracks "on" time. Hours for the day, hours total. There may be more sophisticated models though.
On Tuesday, November 17, 2015 at 8:32:44 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

What does "on" mean?
Burner on (which probably means blower on) or blower on only, i.e. Fan switch set to ON?
On 11/17/2015 9:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

zone is working but the burner cycles as needed. Used on a hot air system, same thing, just calling for heat.
On 11/17/2015 8:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Suspect that you would want it tracking the run time for the blower itself since, as long as it's running, it's doing its part to clog the filter/air cleaner. If he doesn't need something fancy to graph the use, hours per day, peak hours, etc. a simple hour meter connected to the motor should do it.
Record the hours when you change out the filter, etc. It ain't classy, but it works.

Forgot to add, that the blower runs longer than the burners in every system I've ever seen in order to keep the plenum (?) from getting too hot and warping or whatever. Which is why tracking the blower on state is going to give you the results desired... or should<g>
On Tuesday, November 17, 2015 at 10:03:33 PM UTC-5, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

The thermostat I had tracked fan time, it was specifically for tracking filter replacement.
On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 5:56:20 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well, seems he's talking about people who don't run it 24/7, which would be most of us. Or people who at least don't run the fan separately while doing the test. You don't need to do this for months. You just need to do it one day when it's one of the coldest or hottest days. But I can get a general feel for it without the thermostat having an hour timer, just from observing how long the furnace is running for an hour, without even using a watch. Beyond some general observation, probably not much value in more refined data because IDK from that how you're going to pin down that it's oversized by XX BTU anyway. But it could be useful so that if you have say a 100BTU, you know that you can go down one size. It also assumes that the existing furnace is working at it's rated efficiency, etc.
On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 04:45:02 -0800 (PST), trader_4

Why does evenything have to be high-tech?
Most people just change their filters when they look dirty, or change them 2 or more times a year, based on the calendar or when the heating & cooling seasons begin.
On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 2:47:20 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

There's a reason it isn't common to have run time easily available.
It would show how badly sized some systems are.
On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 4:20:59 PM UTC-5, TimR wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure the thermostat manufacturers all have that in mind.... Or it could be that they figure that consumers wouldn't use it, don't need it, how would they explain what it's for, etc..... A filter change indicator based on fan time, that I can see some consumers thinking they could use.
On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 13:44:45 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote in

+1

I know a heating cycle run time can be recorded on some thermostats. Run time meter sounds like a winner. I have a vacuum gauge on my system, but I sully go by head calculation, or just look at filter. I used to ave one of those whistlers long ago, when too much vacuum occurred.
What troubles me, I heard this whistling the other morning. Me and cats were disturbed. Never heard that. Sounded like coming from attic. I better check radon fan in attic.
Greg
"Chicago Bob" wrote in message
I don't need a complex programmable thermostat. All I want is to know how many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter. The fan runs frequently in the summer and winter, but very infrequently in the spring and fall. How often the fan runs is determined by temperature. You can go weeks - or months - without the fan running at all.
I do not want hard on for 4 hours I will be happy for half hour!?!?

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 03:28:03 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster

I bought one of those, but then when I tried to slide the filter into the filter holder, the whistle made it an inch too thick. If I cut the whistle shorter, I think it would have fallen out of place. How do people get the whistle into the air stream?
See below.

I guess these answer that question.

On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 6:44:05 PM UTC-5, Chicago Bob wrote:

they sell a whistle that goes into the filter, when the filter gets clogged the whistle blows
On 11/17/2015 11:13 AM, bob haller wrote:

If you ever find a URL, I'd love to see that. Sounds like a good idea.
On Tuesday, November 17, 2015 at 1:03:10 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Micky already posted a few links for items as cheap as $3.99 for a simple whistle to over $80 for a fancy-a$$ electronic sensor.
Look up thread a few posts.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
amazon has several filter clogged whistles, cheap too
Chicago Bob wrote:

year. Seems to be doing fine. Filter is 16x2x5 pleated filter at MERV 10.