fan between floors to circulate heat from fireplace

I got a split level with a very good fireplace insert on the bottom floor (believe me when I say that it's BTUs are sufficient to heat the whole house - if I could only get it circulated around the house). When I crank up the fireplace in the den, the den gets very toasty and the upstairs stays very cold. Yes, I know that I could turn on just the fan of my central heat, but that seems a little silly to suck hot air from the house to the outside unit and then back (probably a good 40 feet round trip) just to circulate the air. This is especially a bad idea due to the minimum insulation in the area where the air reverses course (at the heat exchanger on the outside unit) Yes, I also am well aware that heat rises and should just "naturally" go up the stairs, but the den would be melting before that type of heat exchange happens to a sufficient level to heat the upstairs. All I need is a small squirrel cage fan (i.e., quiet) that is made to fit between the ceiling and the floor. Bathroom fans are typically too noisey. Anyone know where I can get this beast?
Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net wrote:

Then that should be insulated more. I'm not sure of your systems, but it it a good idea to use hte furnace fatn for even distribution.

True. There is convection goingon, but not enough to get even close tothe ditribution you need.

They do make such a fan. I've not seen them in years and they are code violations in most areas. If the fireplace starts a fire in the house, it is quickly spread by the type of fan you describe. Even an open vent with no fan is not permitted. It is your house, so I'm not going to police you.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net wrote:

Any type of opening between floors is an opportunity for flame/smoke spread. Putting a fan in an opening will accelerate the spread.