Fake windows with lights: construction ideas?

Hi, finishing our basement and we would like to put in a "fake window", i.e. a recessed section of the wall with lighting behind it, a diffuser, and some blinds over it.

I wonder if anyone has done this or seen this done before and has ideas on constructing it. I am thinking of two flourescent lights, a diffuser panel so that the light is relatively uniform, and some blinds or shades over that.

What are some things I need to consider such that this is done up to code and does not pose a fire risk? I am thinking that of the 100W or so used by the lights, the vast majority of it will be dissipated as heat since these things will really not throw off that much light.

Thanks T.

Reply to
T R

Unfortunately, I can't offer any advice regarding your idea. But I would love to know how you end up constructing this and the outcome. I live in a very dark condo and have been looking for ideas on how to brighten up the ol' dungeon. In searching for ideas I came upon this website called backyardview.com and they offer fake window scenes, using real window frames, though these are not lit.

Best of luck!

Reply to
Nightstar

Sounds interesting. How about using undercounter halogen lamps, or rope lights strung around the perimeter, and hidden behind moulding? Rope lighting can be cut at 18" marked intervals to shorten, so you don't have to string 25' of it round and round the perimeter, unless you want to.

Reply to
willshak

Couple of URL's to get you going

Each 2'x3' sheet runs about $20.00 -

"Self-adhering. Provides privacy. Trim to fit, apply in minutes. Illuminated by daylight or room light. Easily removed, no adhesives."

Don't discount those wallpaper wall murals, available in a wide variety of sizes and pictures. We utilized a 'Mediterranean' mural, bordered by faux columns and arches in our small master bedroom.

unfortunately the only pic I have online. You can see the mural on the left side. Columns and arches accent both the mural and window... Photo taken near the end of the room redo. If anyone desires to see pics of the finished room (window treatment, wall decoration, etc) email me at prayfamily at sbcglobal dot net...

I know I didn't answer your safety related issues.

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf